not right lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys it is me artur.I have another question.Like you all know i have 90.gal tank 5 months old.In my tank i have naso tang,yellow tang,tomato clown,diamond goby,some snails,hermits,two starfishes,cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp.I have corals too.Really simple ones.Mushrooms,zooantiahs<probably wrong spelling>and couple more i do not know name.<you can see my tank on tank showcase forum>My question is about lights i have.When i was setting that tank i did not know what i know now.I read a lot that web site too and i see that my lights are not too good.Back then at my LFS store they told me that that is what i need.So i have compact fluorescent 2-65 watt actynic,2-65 watt dual actynic,moonlight,and fan in that fixture.But now i read in some posts that the simplest light is fluorescent,then compact fluorescent,and that is not enaugh for corals.So i spend 270 dollars for garbage?If i want to keep some corals and some fishes do i really need to buy something diffrent?I really do not know much about other lights.Please help me?I see sometimes much nicer blue color in your tanks then in mine.Is that becouse you have that better light?Do i really need to buy something diffrent?Thanks!!!:confused:

How many bulbs total are in the fixture? 2 white and 2 actinic? You can have soft corals - mushrooms, zoo's and probably a leather with no problems under those lights. I don't think they are strong enough for much more.
If you want to keep LPS or SPS I would suggest T5's or MH.

I agree with cccapt. You have enough light for the corals you have listed. One thing to keep in mind with PC lights is they tend to "wear" out quickly and should be replaced at least every 8 months. I have PC bulbs that I replace every 6 months. Usually at the 6month mark I start to notice increase algae growth and the only change is the age of the bulbs.

If you are wanting to add SPS corals to your system then you are going to need more lighting. As cccapt said T5 or MH is the way to go. Either option will give you the ability to keep SPS corals and all the corals you already have.

I agree with the others that you have enough lighting for most soft corals and some LPS corals. If you want SPS or anenomes then you`ll need more or better lighting.

Back
Top Bottom