Ntirite spike length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brett_mil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Just a quick question about the time I can expect a nitrite spike to last in my tank. I have seen the ammonia spike come and go, ammonia now at 0, but the nitrite seems to be pegged and not moving. It has been over 3.3mg/L for the past 2 weeks.

The tank has been cycling for almost 6 weeks now, and I was hoping the trite readings would have dropped already. An algae bloom has been going for about 2 weeks now aswell, but this doesn't bother me too much...

TIA

Brett

I predict the reply will contain the following text:

"How big's your tank"
and/or
"fishless cycle?"

:?

Wish I could help you more; I'm waiting for my own 'trite spike to end. . . although it's only been about 5 days for me.

Tank is 50 gallons.
Fish used to cycle.
Ammonia been down for about a week and a half.

Are you running a UV filter on your tank? I've seen those cause an unending cycle because the appropriate level of nitrite eaters couldn't be built up with the UV running.

How much live rock is in the system and what other filtration do you have ? Post as many details as you can think of (including brand of test kits and readings over the last 5 days) about your tank. Hopefully something will stand out.

OK here we go:

Tank: 50 gallons Juwel Rio
No Live Rock
No skimmer yet
+- 20kg ocean rock
Filters:
Juwel tanks come with a built in in tank filter. These are running pads in my setup
Also an Ehiem ecco 2232 with bio balls and pads return via a spray bar
One Maxijet 1200 ph
Test kits are all TetraTest
Testing for the following:
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
pH

Also recording SG and temp.

Readings for the past five days:

Ammonia: has been at 0 throughout
Nitrite: Test kit inly goes up to 3.3, the next reading on the test kit is > than 3.3mg/L and it has been like this for 2 weeks
Nitrate has been increasing and at 100 mg/L now
pH: been stable at 8.5 since I started the tank
SG has been stable from the start at 1.024
temp has been between 25 and 26 from the start

Brown algae has been growing for about 2 weeks but taking over the tank...

Hope this is enough info.

20kg is roughly 44# so that sounds fine (a hair low, but not dramatically), silicates might be feeding your diatoms 2+w is long, ph at 8.5 is a bit high.

What was your water source? 100mg/l trates is HUGE. I'd do a 30-60% water change with aged SW made from a reputable source of RO/DI. What fish do you have in there (count, size species)? If you have something dainty or not so hardy then do a bunch of smaller (20%) water changes a day or two apart to get your readings back down to reasonable. Maybe your trites are coming back down but it is hard to tell with your tesk kit pegged. I did a 70% water change on a tank with a tang, clown, chromis and cardinals in it and they all made it through ok.

Before doing anything take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them verify your readings. If you're readings are accurate I'd do something dramatic.

Thanks for the help.

I am basically waiting for the cycle to complete and will then top up the rock with LR.

Water sources is tap water, but I guess you figured that already!

Fish are quite hardy:

2X Domino Damsels
1 X Electric Blue Damsel
1 X Yellow Tail

I know the fish are agressive, but they are going to go back to the FS that I got them from.

I suppose you are right with the trites coming down but not able to tell becuase of the test kit measurement card. I am going to another LFS to look at skimmers tomorrow, so will take some water over for them to test.

Cheers

Brett

Bring home some RO/DI while you're there. I bet a good water change will have your cycle, and those diatoms, in check and you'll see it finish the cycle in no time. Since you're planning on pulling those fish anyway definitely wait on the LR. You don't want to be playing hunt and peck for those 4 fish!

I had a severe ammo spike in December (caused by accidentally dumping 1/2 a jar of pellet into my tank) and the ammo was so high that I was watching the progress of it by seeing when I pegged the test. It was a 20m test and it was peaking around the 5m mark before 30% water changes and 8m mark after them (hence my decision to do a 70% water change). You might be able to tell something about your spike by watching where it pegs your test (you might see this taking longer and longer day to day) but still and all your cycle doesn't need for your trites and trates to be that high to complete. You probably have enough bioload built up already to carry my entire tank worth of inhabitants, lol.

Back
Top Bottom