Nurse shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where would be the best place to buy one online? Also how big are they when they are born normally? I have a 125 with a couple fish and i want to geta nurse shark and get rid of the fish. I know he will out grow the tank one day but...

tia

I was shaking my head in disbelief when I read this post....certainly you are yanking our chains...right? No one would buy a nurse shark to remove a couple of fish from a tank. (one could only imagine what you would deem suitable to remove the shark later).
Try a net...those usually work pretty well for fish removal.

Assuming your not jesting, I think the link to the wetweb site pretty much nails it on the head. If you had an 800G tank, maybe, just maybe you could pull it off. But the reality of the question is this: There is no pretty win/win end to this animals life in captivity but espeacially ina 125G (??!!) tank. You want to get rid of a couple fish? Net them and either give them to your LFS or euthanize. If you can't net them, talk with someone locally who has the experience. For the fish, they may do it for free.

GL

I have a 125 with a couple fish and i want to geta nurse shark and get rid of the fish.

I think that was meant to read that he will get rid of the fish that he already has in order to get a Nurse Shark :? At least I HOPE that is what it means.

Yes for God sake that is what i was meaning!!! :x You people are so quick to snap!!! :x The sharks are little when they are born and i will keep it till it gets to big for the tank and then i will trade him for something different

Did you read the article? Where are you going to trade him in at?
No one is snapping, we just can't believe you are actually going to try this.
I don't beleive any shark should be kept in a home aquarium, but if you must do this why not a Bamboo shark or Epaulette? At least you could keep them for awhile. Nurse sharks get big in a hurry.

what do you plan on feeding your nurse shark?

I once caught a brown nurse shark well over 60lbs, and have seen ones nearing 100lbs I don't think they can be kept by any tank under 750 gallons.
Cat sharks and bamboo sharks don't grow nearly as big, although I have no experience keeping them.

I look at it like this my aquarium is for MY enjoyment, not the fishes enjoyment! If all you people really wanted to make your fish happy you would leave them in the ocean where they belong and never subject the fish to a life in a tank. So me putting a nurse shark in a 125 or you putting a clown in a 125 what is the difference? There both some place im sure they dont want to be! Im not saying im going to keep it for 5 years till it gets so big it cant even move! :roll: If it out grows the tank in 6 months then that is when it will get taken out and replaced! A LFS by me has a 125 with a nurse and it is about 18" long and it lives fine. Now that is not to say it is happy but is any other fish really happy in a tank at all? I dout it! I bought the tank to enjoy and that is what im doing! I have had my tank for two and a half years and only ever had one fish die! All i ever read on this site is someone killing there fish so what is worse buying twenty fish a year and killing them from lack of skill or buying a nurse shark and keeping it till it gets bigger and trading it to the LFS??????

KMyers18 said:
I look at it like this my aquarium is for MY enjoyment, not the fishes enjoyment! If all you people really wanted to make your fish happy you would leave them in the ocean where they belong and never subject the fish to a life in a tank. So me putting a nurse shark in a 125 or you putting a clown in a 125 what is the difference? There both some place im sure they dont want to be! Im not saying im going to keep it for 5 years till it gets so big it cant even move! :roll: If it out grows the tank in 6 months then that is when it will get taken out and replaced! A LFS by me has a 125 with a nurse and it is about 18" long and it lives fine. Now that is not to say it is happy but is any other fish really happy in a tank at all? I dout it! I bought the tank to enjoy and that is what im doing! I have had my tank for two and a half years and only ever had one fish die! All i ever read on this site is someone killing there fish so what is worse buying twenty fish a year and killing them from lack of skill or buying a nurse shark and keeping it till it gets bigger and trading it to the LFS??????

Best

what are you going to feed it?

Best

what are you going to feed it?

Im not a 100% but i think the LFS by me feeds his krill and silver sides! I will double check thoe before i buy it! His nurse is not for sale it is in a display 125 in the wall! But he says he can get me a young one about 6" long and he said if i dont over feed i should be able to keep it about a year maybe a little longer! He said they grow about a foot a year so... we will see :wink:

Get a banded shark.. gets up to 22" max length. Not very active, but very cool when you feed live guppies (it also eats krill, and whatever else falls to the bottom of the tank). We've got one in a 210g with several other fish. Surprised it hasn't consumed any of the damsels, either. Its rather peaceful, actually. It creates a hovel under the rock so it needs a thick substrate with a large rock to hide under.

for the same reasons that you cannot keep it, the LFS store will not want it either. The ability to trade it back would not be an option. I give you credit, not too many people would admit that they couldnt give a rats butt about the welfare of the creature vs their own amusement.

schoeplein-they reach 41" not 22"

KMyers18-it is not very wise to buy a potential 210lb shark. I hope you enjoy watching it suffer and eventually die.

I give you credit, not too many people would admit that they couldnt give a rats butt about the welfare of the creature vs their own amusement
Yeah, you being one of thoes people yourself should know first hand! You have an aquarium right? Case closed! :wink:

KMyers18-it is not very wise to buy a potential 210lb shark. I hope you enjoy watching it suffer and eventually die.

Like i said above none of my fish have ever sufferd! And only one has ever died! It was a harlequin tusk that busted the lower half of his jaw on a big brain coral decoration! Can you say the same? And what kind of idiot would keep it till it cant move or was 200lbs? And as for trading it in my LFS will take it! In my area there are lots of people with very large tanks! I know this because he also does aquarium maintenance for a lot of wealthy people that live in the area! Or if all else fails im only 30 miles from Daytona beach :twisted:

Like i said above none of my fish have ever sufferd! And only one has ever died! It was a harlequin tusk that busted the lower half of his jaw on a big brain coral decoration! Can you say the same? And what kind of idiot would keep it till it cant move or was 200lbs? And as for trading it in my LFS will take it! In my area there are lots of people with very large tanks! I know this because he also does aquarium maintenance for a lot of wealthy people that live in the area! Or if all else fails im only 30 miles from Daytona beach

In all of your "plans" the shark is going to die. Unless you can find someone with a 500,000 gallon tank, getting a nurse shark is a stupid idea. I really wish an adivisor would lock this post.

So me putting a nurse shark in a 125 or you putting a clown in a 125 what is the difference?

There is a big difference. I'm sure a clownfish would be alot happier in a 125 gal than a nurse shark.

18" long and it lives fine.

If this is true, the fish is already suffering, you should never keep a fish once it gets as long as the tank is wide. It cannot turn around naturally.

I'm locking this thread, it's already getting uglier than need be. While I am as disappointed that someone on this forum has such little reguard for the life they keep in their tank, it is obvious that he is going to do what he wants anyway. There is no need to go through the ugliness.

Remember, you can lead a horse's ass to water...but you can't make him drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom