Nutrient control options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmonkey!

Aquarium Advice Newbie
steve-s said:
The only way it would be effective is if the coral is harvested and removed occassionally.

Wonder what kind of store credit you might get at the LFS and or trades you might be welcomed to? Ummmmmmm.......

steve-s said:
Sure but once the algaes gone, what fate lies for the sea hare?

Could you feed him seaweed? I mean is HA the only diet for the sea hare?

Reefmonkey! said:
steve-s said:
The only way it would be effective is if the coral is harvested and removed occassionally.

Wonder what kind of store credit you might get at the LFS and or trades you might be welcomed to? Ummmmmmm.......
Depending on the size of the frag, don't expect more than $5.00 or less per.

steve-s said:
Sure but once the algaes gone, what fate lies for the sea hare?

Could you feed him seaweed? I mean is HA the only diet for the sea hare?
You can try although it rarely works long term. Lettuce nudibrancs are a far better choice although with caution. They are photosynthetic and can be target fed but the main challenge is the equipement in the tank. If you have powerheads or the like I wouldn't advise it.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
don't expect more than $5.00 or less per.

Cool..... Get rid of nutrients and get paid for it. 8)

steve-s said:
Lettuce nudibrancs are a far better choice although with caution. They are photosynthetic and can be target fed but the main challenge is the equipement in the tank. If you have powerheads or the like I wouldn't advise it.

Well .........see....... I've learned something new again today. :idea:

Thanks Steve! :D

I'll do some read-up on that critter. :wink:

Let me further my curiosity with you and your knowledge on this subject if you don't mind.............

I have a new refugium that I am in the process of setting up and was at first looking into the cheato with some miracle mud. Then I was reading somewhere about the xenia as being better if you harvest it as you would any of the macro algaes. Then I heard through my LFS that the scallops are a big thing down in florida as a export being that they are a filter feeder and I have also been told that they are the best but you have to have a pretty large nutrient load to keep them happy. I want to do this once and build the best refugium that I can with what I got the first go around.

Can you help?

Of the three options you mention, the chaetomorpha is the best. Less maintenance, no feeding requirements, tolerant of almost all environments, accepts a wide variety of lighting including NO and can occassionally be used as a food source.

Xeniids will require better water quality, more maintenance and increased cost from lighting. They are also much less tolerant of nitrates than you may have been led to believe.

Scallops are strict filter feeders so while they may process some/selected nutrient within the system, you will need to suppliment their feeding which detracts from the overall scheme of "reduction". They are very picky if you will about the particle size of their foods (species depending) and will often starve over the long term. Even in a nutrient rich system. Keep in mind they are not a means of export rather they process nutrient into something else. While this option may sound the most intrigueing, it would also be the most work and highest rate of failure. They also have short life span, 2 years at most depending on age at harvest.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom