Ocean water smell....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJLiquid

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank used to smell like the sea (a nice ocean smell) when I would lift the lid. It doesn't any more since I introduced 3 Turbo snails to my tank. Was it the macro algae that made it smell like that? How do I get that smell back? All my algae has been eaten by snails and is being replaced by coraline algae.

I do what you mean by the nice ocean smell. But clean ocean water smells like pretty much nothing. You can get the smell back by leaving it alone for 2 months and let things grow out...lol. Otherwise your aquarium is actually doing better now. The only thing I can think of is if I am wrong is check the salinity levels and make sure they are accurate and have stayed the same in the aquarium. If they lowered make sure they are brought back up!

Chances are the smell is somewhat still there you are just used to smelling it now. I believe that is how people who deal with pungent smells are able to do it, they just get used to the smell.

Back
Top Bottom