Oceanic problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone heard anything about oceanic having any problems with their salt right now? It came up in a conversation the other day and I've been meaning to ask you guys. I've been using it for a couple months now and I was just curious how much truth is behind it. TIA

I've had a LOT of problems. First, there was the WEIRD outbreak of diatom-looking stuff, then the cyano, (and let me say, I don't feed my fish more than once a week, and I use RO/DI water) and then there was the ph problem... with a steady calcium reading of 500 and alk of 14 dkh, I still couldn't get my ph above 7.8 without dangerously increasing the alk. Switched back to Pacific Ocean salt, and whoa, my ph rose to 8.2 and stays there like white on rice. Cyano cleared up, diatom stuff is clearing, and the tank is back to normal. I will never again use that Oceanic crap.

I had a problem with oceanic and my PH also. Ca/Alk was good but PH was always low. Switched to IO and the PH problem went away.

Is there a salt that keeps your calcium up and your ph? Like a good all around, maybe tropic marin?

Lotta people swear by instant ocean or that reef crystals (IO makes that, don't they?)

I still use Oceanic and like it. My PH is always between 8-8.2. If anything, my alk could be higher. 2.5 meg/L is what I normally get. I am dosing a bit more now since my SPS are growing quicker than expected. I am on my second bucket so I have not used a lot though.

I still use Oceanic also and like the results. Calcium stays high and Ph stays around 8.3. I`m still on the first bucket but I like what I see.

Ive used and tested both (IO and Oceanic). I found no difference between the two over a 200g and 160g bucket each. Matter a fact, I think I posted sometime back the test results of fresh IO in a 5g mix. The only reason for issues *I* have seen were due to improper mixing.

i just started a salt tank about 4 weeks ago or so, and i've been using oceanic with no problems, all tests are normal. i also got them for like, 6 bucks each for the 50 gallon jug of it at my lfs, when IO was like, 13 bucks for the same one....actually i think it might've been a bit more for IO.....

I found no difference between the two over a 200g and 160g bucket each.
I went through 1400 gallons of oceanic and over 3000 gallons of IO recently. IO is constantly low CA. The oceanic had good CA but I could not keep the PH up without constant buffering. This was not hit and miss results. They were constant.

Brenden said:
I found no difference between the two over a 200g and 160g bucket each.
I went through 1400 gallons of oceanic and over 3000 gallons of IO recently. IO is constantly low CA. The oceanic had good CA but I could not keep the PH up without constant buffering. This was not hit and miss results. They were constant.
It looks like you got the general results then! Using that much and getting the same results time after time seems pretty consistant. However are there any other issues with Oceanic other than the low PH? The reason I ask is more because the guy I was talking to said it was the other stuff in the Oceanic that was messed up. He said he talked to an oceanic guy that said they were in the process of fixing it. I dont know how much truth there is to it so thats why I'm asking. Has anyone used Tropic Marin? If so, how did you like it? What were your Ca levels and PH?

Back
Top Bottom