Oceanic salt and low alk??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard on severals posts around the internet that Oceanic salt is low in alk. Has anyone else heard this?? If it is low in alk, what can I add to it to bring it up to the right amount of alkalinity. I usually mix in a 5 gallon bucket so however much of whatever stuff to add to that five gallons to increase the Alk to the right level.

Thanks,
Josh

The most consistant things I've heard about this salt is high alk, low pH and high Ca.

You can easily tweek the alk portion and balance it against the Ca prior to use. Be sure the salt has mixed for a few hours (12 preferabley) and is completely dissolved first. Before you add any buffer, be sure to check the Ca level so you know what balance to shoot for.

<<This calculator>> will help determining the amount you will need for 5 gal of water volume. I would suggest only adding ½ the recommended amount, test and then add the other ½ if needed or slightly less. Raising the alk will often cause some mild (and unseen) precip which brings down the Ca level some so you will most likely need less than suggested by the calc.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom