oceanic sea salt and low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have recently started to use oseanic sea salt and have since had a drop in rhe pH of my tank. After testing the fresh batch of water i just mixed up it only has a pH of 7.4. has anyone else had this problem with oceanic salt?

thanks in advance

I've never heard of this, I would verify that your test kit is accurate, 7.4 seems pretty low. What SG do you mix the water to?

Did you aerate your freshly made SW overnight before testing the pH? It takes a considerable amount of time to stabilize.

What was your tank pH before and after switching? And did you take the readings at the same time of day?

the water had aerated for 12 hours when i tested it, it was mixed with ro/di water. ever since i switched to oceanic i have noticed my pH dropping, at first i thought there must be something going on in the tank so i kept adjuting pH with buffer. so today i decided to test the new water before i put it into the aquarium. my pH was always right aroun 8.3 with IO salt. I will just have to keep an eye on the tank, and test another batch of water when i mix it up again and have the pet store test it also. also the water was at a SG of 1.024 when i tested it at a temp of 82

Try buying the smallest packet of salt they have and make up some SW with that. If the pH reads normal then you may have just had a bad batch.

Back
Top Bottom