ocellaris and maroon clownfish together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuawilliamson21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been wanting a mated pair of naked ocellaris clown fish for my tank but I'm scared that my maroon will not love the idea of the new clownfish and might attack them on most sights it says they aren't very aggresive but I'm not totally sure of it so any thoughts on this would be very helpful! (Btw the tank is 75 gallons)

IMO...they are VERY aggressive. As a diver I have been chased off by them. Maroons and Tomatoes seem to be really territorial and hate each other, while common clowns are a bit more mellow.

I wouldn't suggest it. I didn't add another pair of clowns until I went to my 220 gal. And even then- I bought the new clowns while my old clowns were in a bucket do that I could add all of them to the new tank together.

too bad I guess ill just stick with maroon but do you think acclimating both species into the tank at the same time would work or is that too dangerous?

I believe they are fine acclimated at the same time because neither has had time to claim dominance in the tank.

I would not mix dif types of clownfish. I inherited a pair of fals perc clownfish from a friend who was tearing down a tank. Well since I already had a pair in my tank I put the other two in my sump. I went to the lfs to pick up a black and white fals perc so I could add all three to the dt.( 3 so the aggression is spread amongst the new clownfish) so far about a month and a half in and all 5 clownfish are doing amazing. They formed new pairs. The single one hangs out with the group during the day and at night sleeps on the other side of the tank. The true test is when they lay eggs.

I would not mix dif types of clownfish. I inherited a pair of fals perc clownfish from a friend who was tearing down a tank. Well since I already had a pair in my tank I put the other two in my sump. I went to the lfs to pick up a black and white fals perc so I could add all three to the dt.( 3 so the aggression is spread amongst the new clownfish) so far about a month and a half in and all 5 clownfish are doing amazing. They formed new pairs. The single one hangs out with the group during the day and at night sleeps on the other side of the tank. The true test is when they lay eggs.

Good luck with that! How big is your tank?

Lol yeah.. I am hoping it all goes well. The tank is 60gallons(48 x 12 x 24x) let the bashing commence lol. No I am planning to upgrade to a 120 in December. And I have a 20tall and a 10gal that I can set up if aggression becomes an issue. I really was not planning on adding the 3 clownfish. But like I said my friend was tanking down the tank and needed everything gone.

Back
Top Bottom