Ocellaris Clowns Fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nrapp33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a pair of Tank Bread Ocellaris Clowns that I have had for 6 months. They where in a tank full of ocellaris. One has grown larger than the other. Now the larger has began attacking the smaller (male). He is submissive but still getting a beat down. He has almost lost one of his pectoral fins. I tried catching her but couldn't get her without removing all the rock work. I did get him and pulled him out. He is in a qt tank. I got him out a couple days ago and he is fine.

Questions are this:
-why was she beating him up?
-can I put him back in?
-what should I do?

Thanks

Questions are this:
-why was she beating him up? The bigger female is establishing her dominance.
-can I put him back in? If you want to try and pair them up, yes.
-what should I do? How big is the tank they are in? If the smaller 1 has room to run and hide the fighting should stop after a while.

They are in a 55g. I will try reintroducing him. I am going to move the tank in the room soon so at that time I will redo the rock work so maybe that will help as well.

There is a likely chance that the smaller was a male and changed to a female in the tank with all the other clowns. And since the larger is also a female they will both fight. When a clown becomes a female it cannot change back into a male.

They were both small when I got them and very peaceful existence till just now. Could the fighting be delayed?

If they are small and were in the same tank... you have one male and the other (bully) is in the process of changing I would say. Sometime they are just mean. Fin nipping is not good though

Back
Top Bottom