oh my..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
my grandmother brought over a cleaner shrimp for us.... a nice gesture. but then... the serpent starfish grabbed it and ate it 8O ..oh my.

poor little timid shrimp... gets put in the tank and then gets eaten.. i feel really awful. cleaner shrimp have such cute little eyes.. its like a kitten getting hit by a car.:(

Green Serpent?

If I remember right... those are the ones to "watch out for". They can be hunters and shrimp may not be all it eats.

If it is a green serpent, read up and make sure I'm right about it first. If I am, and you want to replace it.. I'd go with a brittle star. much more reef friendly.

If I'm wrong about the green serpent stars... well then just ignore me :wink:

Green Serpent?
If I remember right... those are the ones to "watch out for".
Yes, green brittle stars are NOT good for reefs!! I had the same thing happen to me. It is kind of weird b/c your excited about having this cool new "guy", then he's a very expensive dinner 8O . If it's not a green, it's just a "rogue" star.

is it the green brittle or the green serpent star? (two different stars). Brittle stars have a bunch of small spikes along their legs. Serpent stars have a more leathery skin look.

is it the green brittle or the green serpent star?
Green brittle. FWIW, scientifically speaking they are all serpent stars. Aquarist make the distinction "brittle" and "serpent".

Please don't invite me over for dinner. :shocked!: It's a good possibility he may attempt to eat your other inhabitants.

You know its not a good post when you start out by apologizing..I am truly sorry, but when I play the scene in my head .... "Thanks gramma, now everyone gather 'round while we add the new shrimp to our tank! Come on, get closer little Billy and hold the baby up so she can see!...Here we go!...splash..yaaay!, look at him...gulp! (BAM..gramma passes out on floor, Billy cries..) just seems friggin hilarious. /shrug, its me, I know, but still funny as heck!

Back
Top Bottom