OH NO!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just saw a small mantis shrimp in my tank!!!

I saw it dart into a hole, and I jabbed into the hole furiously with a skewer ... maybe I got him, but I have to believe I didn't.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll be learning how to rid my tank of a mantis shrimp. Any sucess stories out there?

Sigh.

one of the ways I've heard works the majority of the time is if you see him hide in a rock, take that rock out of the tank and dip it into a bowl of RO water. What I've heard is that it will vacate the rock almost immediately. You'll want to then place it in a SW holding bin until you can give it away/sell it etc. Just make sure the RO water isn't too cold.

I'll give the skewer technique another day or two - I didn't hear any snapping last night. :fadein: I'm going to make a trap and see what I can catch. I'm going after some crabs, too.

I can't IMAGINE what it must be like with a mantis in a big tank 8O . My tank is only 30 gallons! THe bad thing is, the hole that I skewered him is in the largest rock - the centerpiece rock on which the ENTIRE aquascape rests.

I doubt it (I hope not!!!), he was small, and my crabs and snails are very efficient!

I'm still testing frequently, though, and I'm ready to respond with a 20 gallon garbage can full of premixed SW if necessary. This morning the water was ok, and I'll check it again today.

There are more caves in that rock than you know about. I hope that you got him, but my money is on the mantis. For an invert they are quite intelligent. :|
I did catch mine, but even with a good trap it took almost a month.

Back
Top Bottom