Oh what a difference a bulb makes (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you will remember my thread on the 175W MH 10K Vion bulb, well yesterday, I got my Ushio 10K bulb to replace it. One thing that surprised me was the way our eyes and brains adjust to the different spectrums we see. The tank looked the same as it did when I first put in the Vion, but over a couple of weeks time, to me it looked very white, rather than the yellow green it did when I first put it on the tank. That was until I put on the Ushio. OK, onto the pics so you can see for your self (questions to follow).

(Very Old) Venture 6500K MH w/7100K PC "actinic"
wholetank1.jpg

Ushio 10K w/"true" actinic PC
wholetankUshio_PC.jpg

Vion 10K w/"true" actinic PC
wholetank3.jpg

175W MH Ushio 10K only
wholetankUshio.jpg

175W MH Vion 10K only
wholetankMH.jpg

The difference is stunning...isn't it?
super.gif
I thought the corals were happy with the new vion bulb...With the Ushio my xenia began pulsing like crazy and the acros simply love it. WooHoo, I'm very pleased with this bulb, it was Sooooo worth the extra $20.
dance.gif

Anyway, onto the questions.
When I got the Ushio yesterday, when I pluged it in, it didn't fire, I had to turn off the MH and then start it again. It fired the second time. Does the bulb require a pulse start? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it might (but I might be thinking of HQI). Any thoughts?
dontknow.gif

Kevin, that last pic looks like you lit your tank with a high pressure sodium bulb. Are the colors true? Perhaps the bulb messed with the camera's settings? Surely the Vion is not that yellow. Even my 5500K Hameltons are no where near as yellow. I once put HPS over my tanka s an experiment and that is what that the last pic looks like. I've seen pics of maiceman's tank, those were not as yellow either.
Maybe it's just the contrast of all the pics together.

Just wondering...

Mark

No, it was not quite that yellow looking...but close I agree it could simply be the contrast. I think it is hard to compare, maiceman had alot more water and space to diffuse the light, and was bound to be using a different ballast, I use the ballast supplied with the CSL prism pendant (it indicates nowhere on there what type it is, probably a magnetic. Mine was over a 20L tank. There is also the possibility the bulb was bad. In any case, I am very happy with the Ushio, and I would recommend it to anyone.

My ballasts are from Graingers.... Advanced Transformer M-57.

A quick note on those ballasts.. they more then doubled in price since I bought them in September. From $37.50 to $83 each.

Also the restart with the new bulb can probably be attributed to transformer temperature and how the integration of the starting coil works in the circuit. After the transformer is up to operating temp and the bulb has been started the coil is eliminated from the circuit. Upon a short shutdown and restart the transformer is still at temp which keeps the starting coil from boosting the voltage and lighting the lamp. If left on for a longer period the lamp would probably light. At least this is my understanding of the circuit...... electronics class was 10 years ago. 8O

I'm convinced.... I wrote Hellolights today and they worked out a return deal for me... $82 refund on exchange for the Ushio lamp.

Thanks for the post reefrunner. Although the tank looks really nice with the 10000k's . I think I like the color of the 6500k better.

Anyway, what size is your reef tank?

michealprater said:
Thanks for the post reefrunner. Although the tank looks really nice with the 10000k's . I think I like the color of the 6500k better.

Beware, that 6500K was atleast 2.5yrs and probably closer to three years old. When it was new it was very yellow, over tme it shifted to the white/red spectrum that you see in that pic. If possible, before you purchase one, try and see a newer one burning, you may not like the color at all.

Anyway, what size is your reef tank?

20L

thanks.

so thats the tank that has the 9 corals for 99.

could you post a pic with the corals you bought from jeffs circled?

I know I promised to do this last week, but I've been working alot lately and when I do get on the computer have felt very indifferent to anything
selfbonk.gif
Sorry, better late than never...
peace.gif

Back
Top Bottom