Oil Slick -- Aquarium Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
...got this oil slick on the surface of my aquarium....skimming 24/7, water added daily (RO/DI with less than 10 ppm), all unwanted algae is down, feeding is light (I think), et. al.

Does it just need a water change? How do I get rid of the oil slick?

Filter: overflow sump/bioballs/live rock

what are you feeding your fish, i read that if you feed them an oily fish like bluefish or salmon it will produce an oil slick, assuming you feed them fresh seafood. I read that white meat fish is better like flounder and haddock.

You need to get a ph or two pointing toward the surface, this will correct the problem. I had the problem at one time and it's caused by the water not circulating good at the surface, by doing this you will also help in removal of gases from the water.

thaw all froozen food and then rinse with RO/DI water. Pointing a PH at the surfcae to aggitate or ripple the surface should help as well.

My guess is its protien build up.... How is your skimmer working> Is it a wet skimmate> What color is it....

Adjust your over flow so it skims more off the surface and play with the skimmer so you get a dark skimmate if your not already.. Cleaning the skimmer will help also if you ahve not done in a while.

I think this is pretty normal in a tank where there is no surface overflow. (I dealt with this problem for a long time) The best I was able to do was to create a waterfall into the tank from the skimmer. This drew the oil back down into the tank where the skimmer could get it.

I attempted to create surface draw into my skimmer but the system was so sensitive to evaporation that I couldn't keep it running.

It is one of the better arguements for a sump. With any kind of overflow system into the sump, this problem goes away.

Directing a ph toward the surface may help break it up.

Brad said:
Directing a ph toward the surface may help break it up.

I had a problem like that with a 10 gallon FW tank. I solved the problem by putting an airstone in the tank for a few days. That seemed to break up the film so the HOB filter could get it. Assuming this is a similar situation, I would suspect that something that breaks up the surface (such as a powerhead) could work.

Thank you, everybody.

A combination of maintaining a fresh water supply at a consistent level has increased my skimmer's efficiency and has helped.

I am also rinsing my food prior to its entry.

This has cleared up the surface by approximately 75%. It seems to not affect the fish much at all.

I will be attempting water changes soon which I think will help as well.

I suppose also that the water chemistry has balanced with higher nitrites which I have yet to confirm.

It's sort of a mystery as to why this is occurring so far but your help has been great :)

Back
Top Bottom