Ok here's your chance: What would be your dream 200 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to get back into the hobby after a lapse of 20 years. I currently have a well established 40 GAL FW tank, used to keep SW many years ago. If money were no object what would you get to set up a 200 Gallon SW tank? I'm talking from the actual tank/stand to the lighting and assorted filter/protein skimmers/sump/ what ever, this is your chance.

Build me your dream system! I trust the opinions on this board and thank everyone in advance.

FWIW Myself I would probably get built in overflows in my tank with sump and a built in fuge. Most likely put in a closed loop system as well. Then i'd add a bullet skimmer and depending what you wanted to keep in there a calcium reactor. The stand I would probably build myself because I like to do that sort of thing and to top it off prob 3 x 400w mh with 2 or 4 x 96w PC O3(only gives you 7w per gal but are high intensity) then filling it would be a whole other story.

An AquaC EV-240 skimmer, 3-4 x 250W MH + 4x VHO, Starphire glass tank (I like the look of acryllic, but don't like the scratchability), 55-75g sump/fuge with DSB, builtin overflow in the tank. Probably a closed loop (you're moving a lot of water here), probably a SCWD or three (I've seen them in action, creates nice movement). People like the Iwaki return pumps, or CalPump (mainly used in ponds, but nice pumps).

But after seeing a low-iron glass tank ("Starphire"), I really want one now. Makes glass look like a green haze.

200 gallon sump seems a bit small for a 10000 gallon tank. :D

My 225 consists of

Lifereef Lf1-300 sump w 36" protien skimmer w/ float switch and solenoid to top off evaporation from my RO/DI
2 Little Giant 1140gph pumps
1 Little Giant 900gph pump for protein skimmer
3 Maxijet 1200's and 1 powersweep (wish I had 2 seaswirls but tank is acrylic and has no room for them)
6 160 watt VHO bulbs (3 blue 3 White)

Soon to add:
Refugium (40 gallon with 6"dsb)
Calcium Reactor
3 400w MH bulbs (will remove 2 vho's and all vho's will be blue when switched over)

I am very happy with my tank except I wish it had slots on the top to add a seaswirl.

Thanks, my problem is I do not know exacly how they mount other then they hang on the edge. Also drilling my tank voids the warranty. I guess I could notch the covers and hang them from there. Just may look sloppy with a hose going up the sides but at least it is only visible from the equipment room.

what if you glued a small piece on the edge of your opening?? then ya wouldnt have to worry about the warranty and then ya could lock it in ! might have to make the return a bit longer which shouldnt be hard to do :)

Yeah I probably should just get one and see how I can mount it then add another and get rid of my 4 powerheads and use the seaswirls.

Pentiumburner,

Did not mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to share my experience with my acrylic tank. Allot of things are meant to hang on the back edge of a tank and mine unfortunatley does not have the space to do that. Hope this helps. I got my tank from Tenecor and had I known I would have asked them to drill holes on the top, since now if I drill the holes it voids the warranty.

No worries,

I just want to be sure that I get enough info to buy once if you know what I mean. It seems to me the biggest failing is trying to be cheap with equipment and I refuse to do that.

The tank I eventually will have will be in a large walk in closet after the wall section is removed I am going to have the tank professionally installed into the wall facing out to the living/dining room, so obviously I have to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any and all suggestions that will help me set up the best I can.

I have mine built in to a wall as well. There are a few pics in my gallery. Another thing that would be nice is access from the front wall of the tank, mainly just to be able to watch the fish when they eat. Kinda hard when the tank back is black and the water is circulating too much to see down from the top.

I went with www.Lifereef.com for the same thing you mentioned. I only wanted to buy once and the system I bought is flexible and is ready to add a refugium and other items. Pricey but the workmanship is awesome and so is the service. Well worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom