Ok to take Live Rock from Ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hawaii State Law states: The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS 171-58.5, HRS 205A-44

See this link:
Hawai`i Department of Land and Natural Resources

You cannot break off anything from the Live Reef but anything that becomes removed on its own and rolls into the shoreline is legal. . .

It is unlawful to take, break or damage, any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached. HAR 13-95-71
That sounds like live rock to me.

"Under Hawaii law it is illegal to take live coral and live rock -- rock that has organisms living in it"
-Starbulletin.com

There is an article online about a gentlemen who was indited for the collection of live rock. Live rock, rock that has living organisms attached or living in it is different from coral rubble (broken fragments of dead coral). It is not ok to collect LR from Hawaii waters regardless of the quantity or the use.

To answer the question. "Is it ok to take live rock from the ocean?"

No it's not. It's wrong to do so as it disrupts nature more then we are disrupting it ourselves. We shouldn't lend a hand even more.

And it's illegal.

Seems to be some confusion as to what is Live Rock.
When I go to the shore(dont be jealous) I pick the "Rubble"(dead coral) that washes in or has broken off the reef(which is very close to shore). This Rubble has live bacteria living in the "Rubble". So its considered Live Rock.
You cannot break off pieces of the living coral reef to harvest living things on or in them, that is illegal.
You New Yorkers or Mainlanders are just jealous I can go to a young beach, pick live rock and just put it in my tank without curing it.
:thanks:

Seems to be some confusion as to what is Live Rock.
When I go to the shore(dont be jealous) I pick the "Rubble"(dead coral) that washes in or has broken off the reef(which is very close to shore). This Rubble has live bacteria living in the "Rubble". So its considered Live Rock.
You cannot break off pieces of the living coral reef to harvest living things on or in them, that is illegal.
You New Yorkers or Mainlanders are just jealous I can go to a young beach, pick live rock and just put it in my tank without curing it.
:thanks:
Which is it now? This was your original question.....
I live in Hawaii and have a 100gal Mixed Reef Tank been running for 4 months.
Presently have about oh 75lbs of live rock straight from the ocean.
Is it ok to add Live Rock straight from the ocean within a matter of few hours from 5 gallon buckets 1/4th filled with ocean water straight to my tank?
What Ive been doing is soaking rock in fresh water for 1 hour to get rid of all unwanted critters first, then shooting rock with a power hose to remove sponges and the likes, then add to tank.
Since rock came straight out the ocean Im thinking my procedure is fine but want your opinions.
thanx
You posted 2 very different "methods" of collecting. Fist you say it came out of the ocean loaded with critters and sponges, then after your state laws were pointed out to you, you say you picked stuff from the shore. Bottom line is you should know what's legal and what isn't and you do what you think is right.

Nah, not jealous... Conscientious and protective of this fragile ecosystem that is becoming more threatened day by day

You've posted 2 very different "methods" of collecting. First you say it came out of the ocean loaded with critters and sponges, then after your state laws were pointed out to you, you say you picked stuff from the shore. Bottom line is you should know what's legal and what isn't and you do what you think is right.

There will always be those who choose to be ethical and do the right thing regardless of rules and regulations; looking out for the fragile ecosystems that we try to emulate in our little glass boxes and being conscientious about the life that is found there. And then there are the others, which are you . . .

Last edited:
There will always be those who choose to be ethical and do the right thing regardless of rules and regulations; looking out for the fragile ecosystems that we try to emulate in our little glass boxes and being conscientious about the life that is found there. And then there are the others, which are you . . .

:) I live in Florida and could quite easily go to the beach and scoop up enough white sand to fill both of my tanks, but that doesn't make it right. I could just as easily grab some rock while frolicking around in the water with my family on beach day, doesn't make it right.

So, to reply to one of your statements... No I'm not jealous at all. I want to be able to go to the beach and enjoy it for what it is, not scavenger it to make my "little glass box" better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

Take it easy on this guy!!! I live in Fl,people from up north take stuff home! How bout the millions of gallons of water released before a storm that never hits and releases phosphates that causes a mass out break of hair algea. This could go on and on. Starfish and puffers in jewelry stores earrings! He posted a question maybe teach him in love and he might receive it not in bash him.

Take it easy on this guy!!! I live in Fl,people from up north take stuff home! How bout the millions of gallons of water released before a storm that never hits and releases phosphates that causes a mass out break of hair algea. This could go on and on. Starfish and puffers in jewelry stores earrings! He posted a question maybe teach him in love and he might receive it not in bash him.

We did teach him and inform him in the first thread. Were you apart of that thread? He then made another thread after laws, rules and regulations were pointed out. Take it easy you say?

If you would like to talk about earrings and such. Start a new thread... His question has been answered several times.

What does that mean? People up north take stuff home? You live in FL means what? It's illegal there also.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20..._coral-reefs-harvesting-crystal-reef-aquarium

Bottom line it's wrong, immoral and against the law. You can help the cause and keep our reefs protected or you can be part of the problem.

The choice is yours.

I don't take anything from my beaches but I would love some of that white sand on Anna Marie Island!!! That stuff is gorgeous!!!

Protect our reefs buy man made rocks and fish that are breed in tanks. I see Haitian and Fiji lr with shrooms, polyp's and other critters sold for $9 bucks a pound. Straight from the reef not the shore like Ted said. One guy getting bashed is crazy. Ted you know what your grabbing I hope you do what's right that all from me.

I'm willing to bet all those bashing u Ted do not have full artificial tanks meaning something Ither sand fish rock coral something came directly from the ocean ,while destroying reefs is in fact wrong taking rock that has washed ashore otherwise to lay in the sand to dry out in my opinion is not... At the end of the day everyone in this hobby has things that belong in the ocean in a glass box so just be responsible in what you do and happy reefing.. By the way the ones bashing are the same types to protest coal and nuclear plants. While enjoying there climate controlled house kinda weird uh ...

I'm willing to bet all those bashing u Ted do not have full artificial tanks meaning something Ither sand fish rock coral something came directly from the ocean ,while destroying reefs is in fact wrong taking rock that has washed ashore otherwise to lay in the sand to dry out in my opinion is not... At the end of the day everyone in this hobby has things that belong in the ocean in a glass box so just be responsible in what you do and happy reefing.. By the way the ones bashing are the same types to protest coal and nuclear plants. While enjoying there climate controlled house kinda weird uh ...

We can argue other environmental issues in another thread. Your going way off topic here. And some of may have things in our tanks that belong in the ocean probably all of us... The point is its done through LFS or online through vendors. We're not "taking" it ourselves. Does it lesson the fault on us? Probably not BUT... We're not directly taking it from the ocean as mentioned in this thread or other threads. We can add an array of other issues here but again that would be off the topic of this specific thread.

Your more then welcome to start another thread if you'd like.

Bashing? I'd say no... Informing? Yes...

Look we're all passionate about the hobby and the environment for that matter but the topic at hand doesn't lend itself to nuclear plants, coal etc etc... Some are losing site of that.

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here and we come from all walks of life with values and opinions. The fact of the matter is the OP asked a question and the black and white proof is its illegal. That's the answer. You don't like don't read further.

Your grasping at straws mentioning other issues in the world. Lets walk before we run.

It's not going to change the answer to this thread.

Can you? Yes... Is it ok? Nope. End of discussion.

I'll be waiting for your thread on world issues.

Also...

One guy getting "bashed" as some have said.. No. One guy who asked a question getting answers? Yes...

You don't want answers, don't ask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom