on again off again cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Been having problems with my water getting cloudy. My tank is only 2 months old. The water gets perfectly clear for 3 or 4 days then, I get a day or 2 of cloudy conditions. My water tests ok. It doesn't seem to affect my fish. I am going through that new tank diatom bloom. Could this been the cause ?

What is the filtration like? Is there a filter floss pad or something like that? Might be kicking back into the tank...if you change it every few days it could make sense why it comes and goes.

I'm using. chemi-pure elite in my hob filter. I put some floss on top of the bag. Checked it last night and it did look pretty dirty. I took it out to see if it would make a difference. Got home from work today and the tank still looks cloudy. Could it be some kind of algae bloom ?

Attachments

• tank 024.jpg
    tank 024.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 89
Try some activated carbon. That always does the trick for me. Polishes up the water nicely. BTW how new is this tank and what did you clean it with??

The tank is been running for about 2 months. The chemi-pure I'm using in the HOB filter is a combination of carbon and resin. I have a lot of diatoms in the sand and I was thinking that could be adding to the problem. I am thinking it is some sort of bacteria bloom though.

Get a UV sterilizer. It will clear it up.

+1 my tank is crystal clear and I owe a huge part of it to my uv sterilizer

Beyond the initial cycle a UV sterilizer won't do much of anything to clarify water. The only type of cloudiness a UV sterilizer will take care of is from a bacterial bloom and there is nothing pointing to that being the case. I would try either purigen or carbon before anything else.

I have a 36 gal fowlr that is about the same age and I ran into the same sort of thing, sounds like we have very similar setups, I have a hob filter that I run chemi pure in as well, I run the chemi pure inside floss on one side of the filter and just straight carbon on the other, on the side that is just carbon I pack the living crap out of it with carbon, I rinse them thoroughly once a week. I had a diatom outbreak a couple weeks ago so i went and got 10 hermit crabs 2 coraline snails and 2 turbo snails. Within 3 days all brown algae was gone and my tank looks awesome now

well,
got home from work today and the water was crystal clear. I had some microbacter7 that I used when I was cycling my tank and read that it would help clear up water so I tried it last night. Don't know if that's what did it but the water is clear today..

Back
Top Bottom