"?" on how to feed an anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering how do I feed my anemone? I tried giving it small smashed pieces of shrimp that had been soaked in a vitamin supplement. When I placed the piece on him, he started to close on it... then he opened back up and the piece sat in there until a cleaner shrimp held true to his name. So I tried again... with the same result.

What's the trick to getting the anemone to take the food?

Standard issue brown in color bubble tip anemone, for the record.

Try not using the vitamin supplement.. just fresh shrimp.

I had a similar problem, but what I figured was the key is probably the size of the food. While it may seem small before it comes in contact with the water, it can expand to quite a large size after a few minutes underwater. So try an even smaller portion of food and try to aim it directly into the mouth area (a syringe is good for this).

This is what I do. I cut up a piece of shrimp just about the size of the opening that is in the center of the disc. I place the food in the disc, (not quite at the opening), and then rub my finger around the tenticles to get him to think he has snagged a fish. He will then close up and eat. I have read that you need to do this to get the anenome to go into "feeding" mode....does that sound right? But it works fine for me.

Mike

I use tume syringe has large opening I soak krill in water then suck up I slowly inject the pieces on to tenticles, I have 3 large apistaisia that I feed, I know most hate them but when you have had as many fish die as I did anything tough enough to live I appreciate.

Any one know how to get apistasia to turn lose to move to new tank?

fed... finally

Well, I get my BTA to take shrimp tonight. First a tiny piece, then once he figured out the food thing, I gave him a slightly larger piece. I now know it is a SLOW process. I think it took him nearly 1 hour to eat the 2nd piece. That was moving it to the mouth and actually taking it in. Now just before lights out he's starting to inflate himself again.

Very happy! :D

it also depends on how often you are feeding your anemone. if your anemone isn't hungry, it isn't going to eat. I have read that with out a clown fish you really only want to feed about once a week, and with a clown fish not at all the clown will feed it for you, which has been my experiance.
good luck,
mermaid

I also noticed that mine will usually eat better either in the morning or at dusk. Seems that must be the regular feeding time?

I direct feed my condys every one-two weeks. Otherwise they filter feed off the mysis and other foods. Try varying the selection. Mine take shrimp, squid and mussel with no problem.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom