on the hunt to catch a crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....i determined that the big guy has got to go...i watch him wait for the snails to come out of the sand and he goes and gets one and pulls it back to his hole and stabs at him with one of its sharp legs
whats the best method to catchin this guy other then stickin my hand on there and just grabbin the thing hard, hopin his claws dont hurt too bad

i thought i read somewhere about a bottle trap? what type of bottle?
just put alittle food in there and hope over nite he goes in

You probably wouldn't be able to catch it with your hands. The bottle trap is a 2 liter bottle with the top cut off to a hole a little bigger than the crab. Than cut 6 inches down and inverted it in and tape it. Put a little bit of food in there and wait it out. HTH

Or, if you have a deep smooth sided glass, you could try that too. Just tilt the glass up against the rock where you last seen it. Throw the bait in the bottom. Be sure it's not tilted to much. The crab will climb in but not be able to climb the smooth sides to get back out.

Or at night set a small piece of cocktail shrimp out in the open and see if he comes out to get it. Do this for a couple of night and then be ready with a net. If you are fast, this may get him.

WOHOO!!!!!
got him
put a tall glass in there with a bit of food in the bottom and leaned it towards the LR
woke up and there he was....all unhappy
I need to get a ID on him and ebay him :)

Back
Top Bottom