One Clown refuses to eat much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off, Happy 4th of July to everyone!

Now some quick history. We bought both clowns at the same time and they looked almost identical upon purchase. It's been over 2 months now and one of the clowns recently hasn't been very active, especially during feeding time. He now sits in the rear of the tank behind a rock and hardly comes out. The other clown swims around like nobody's business and ATTACKS food during feeding time.

The clown that isn't eating much is looking pretty slim. The one that is active looks absolutely beautiful. Any ideas what I can do to get the other one active again? I don't have a second tank to separate them, so not sure how to handle this. I even tried going back to the flakes I used to feed them (stopped due to algae problem), and he'll eat a couple small tidbits and that's it.

Thanks for the advice!

Were they mated when you bought'm? If not, and they looked the same, you may have the same sex and one is afraid to come out and get bullied around by the dominant (personality, not size) one. I'd consider taking the shy one back ang getting a much smaller or larger one.

Thanks Ray. I'll have to see if they will let me do an exchange. That's amazing that it is simply due to being bullied. I have noticed this also, but thought they were fine because the "shy" one isn't missing any fins or anything. :) Thanks for the tip!

the "shy" one isn't missing any fins or anything.

That's prolly 'cause it doesn't come out for food and get beat up on. As long as it "stays in its place" the stronger one likely won't bother it.

If they won't let yuo do an exchenge, they'll likely give you store credit (mine gives 40% of the original price) on your trade-in. Either way - or if you lose the money for the first, I'd still think it worth it to get the weak one out ASAP. Not eating and being scared to death will likely lower its immune system. Can you say "ick"? :(

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom