One pump or two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swiftwing7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to plumb the return for my 120 gallon tank and I am considering using two pumps. At first I was just going to use one return pump and have it to go through a spray bar. After seeing a timer that has 15 minute intervals I thought it might be a good idea to alternate between two pumps with two different spray bars every 15 minutes to give it a nice chaotic flow. Would this be a good idea or would it be better to stick with 1 pump and 1 spray bar. As for the spray bars I would probably mount them veritcally at the front left and back left of the tank or both horizontly with one agaisnt the front wall and one against the back.

Question 2. I would like to run an external pump (or 2) because they add less heat to the water than the larger mags (I have heard) which I would have to use other wise. My problem is if I go external I am going to have to mount them above the sump, about a foot above the water line are any of the externals not gravity feed? And if so how much head height would it take away having them above the water and having to pull it up? If a submersible won't add that much heat it would probably be easier in my situation, but I like the benifits of an external, flow, quietness, less heat, only problem is for the price of some externals I could get 2 mags that all have the same flow. Then i'd have to double the price of one external. lol

Thanks for all the help. Sorry for the long post. I felt like typing :wink:

Swift

Instead of a spray bar, use a SCWD. (switching current wave d something.) That way you use 1 pump and it will alternate for you.
2. I don't think that an external pump could be mounted above the water line. If the power goes out you would loose your siphon.

Okay I am going to use an SCWD w/ 2 spray bars. My overflow is rated at about 1400 gallons per hour. The scwd says no more than 1400 gallons per hour. I am going to have about 5 90* turns and then a spray bar. So with all this stuff what pump will I need to get the job done and match my return.
Thanks for the help, I can go either submersible or external. I found space.
Swift

My head height is about 5 feet. 3 feet of stand and 2 feet of tank. I have to size the pump large enough for the overflow but the scwd can only handle 1400gph. So its hard to find a size that matches. Right now i'm thinking i mgiht split the return before the scwd and have part of it go back into the sump with a ball valve. That way I could control my flow, i only want to do this though if I can't find the right pump

The overflow will only allow as much water thru that is pumped. If the pump is rated less than the overflow you can't overflow the tank. If the pump pumps more water than the overflow can handle you wind up with water on the floor

I know, I just wanted to get as much flow through my tank possible. The SCWD has inputs and outputs of 3/4 inch. The pump has 1 inch, do I have to get a pump to match this or by going from 1 inch to 3/4 will it bring the flow down some. Thanks for the help darb
Swift

Thinking about using the 40 MDRLXT, would this be okay? The SWCD says it can't more than 5 psi, so would this pump eb okay with it. I guess the switching would be fast on the SWCD since it will be very close to 1400.
Swift

Back
Top Bottom