Open Brain Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok..
I just got a Yellow Open Brain Coral yesterday from the LFS. Since I have never had a Brain...CORAL, I was under the impression it was soft. But when putting into the tank I noticed it was hard. I have noticed in the center of the brain there is 2 openings. They will open and close slightly. I have read on another post that in the night they will extend their arms.

Well as of last night I checked several times and never seen these arms?
My questions are:
1. Is this correct that the brain coral is hard around the outside?
2. Are these arms, suppose to come out all the time?

I was hoping that I did not buy a dead or soon to die Brain Coral..

Tank:
55 gal Reef been going over a year. CPR Skimmer, 3-4" DSB, 220 watts PC, Live Rock.
Feed Kent Marine Zoe(2 times a week) and use Essential Trace Elements (once a week).

The open brain is a lps coral. It has more than one mouth on both sides. You will see that in time. Once the coral settles in. It could take a few days before it shows it's tentacles but they are short and only come out around the inner edge of the coral. If that makes sense. They also only extend their tentacles at night. Good luck with your new lps. :D

Thanks Fluff for the fast reply..
Just looking at these Brains it gives you the impression that they are soft. That is what threw me off...

Thanks

They are great. I wanted to add.. I don't know where you have it in your tank but, it would be happy on the sand if it's not there already. :D

Back
Top Bottom