open brain / sun coral questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all. For x-mas i got a 6x55w PC light for my 55g tank so ive finally been able to get corals! I got one every few days since xmas and now have a frogspawn, pulsing xenia, trumpet coral, green open brain, sun coral, and a sps frag.

1) The open brain only extends its polyps at night... is that normal?

2) i got the sun coral yesterday and it hasn't extended its polyps all the way yet. I have seen a few start to stick out, but not all the way. Should it be taking this long?

3) also, do you think 6 watts/gallon would be enough for sps if they are near the top?

ty very much!!!

rosstifer

1) This is when my brain feeds also

2) You will need to target feed the sun polyps. Use a 2 litre bottle with the bottom cut off. Place it over the sun polyps and squirt food through the top. Squid, shrimp, scallops, flake; chopped up coarse, not to fine. These coarls prefer lower light as they are not photosynthetic. Oh yeah, you can use a turkey baster to stir up the food when it settles. By doing this there is little waste and eventually all polyps will get a fare share.

3) This is JMO - Halides are best for sps.

Agreed with the above except...

rossv said:
3) also, do you think 6 watts/gallon would be enough for sps if they are near the top?
This will primarily depend on the species of SPS and the age/stability of the set up. There are many types that will do well under the type of lighting you have. In all honesty the main one to avoid would be most all acroporidae.

IME, SPS such as pocillopora, porites, pavona, montipora, stylophora, hydnophora to name a few would do just fine once you and the tank are ready. It's not something to rush into but the possiblility is there..

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom