Opinion on 90 gal reef tank on 3rd floor apartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live on a pre-war building, 3rd floor, I currently have two tanks in my apartment one is 65 gallon reef (living room) and the other is a 55 gallon freshwater (kitchen). My girlfriend and I are thinking of upgrading our 65 gallon reef to either a 90 gallon or 110 gallon reef tank and getting rid of our 55 gallon freshwater.

We are aware that a 100 gallon tank will weigh approximately 1000 lbs. and we were wondering if this would be ok to put in a 3rd floor apartment as supposed to two tanks distributed seperately in the apartment.

We are looking for opinion from other aquarium keepers who are keeping this size tanks in their apartments above the first floor. Hopefully, we don't hear any bad experiences on floor collapsing. Please let us know thanks in advance.

It really would vary so much depending on the building that I'm afraid votes like "i had no problems" really aren't gonna mean that much... Sorry.

I have a co-worker in a brand new apt complex with a 180 gal on the 3rd floor. However, he verified with the apt manager and they have a 12" concrete waffle between each floor so its bomber-strong.

Have you talked to your apt manager? (if you are the manager, have you talked to the property owner?) if you get their permission in writing, then you are insulated against liabilities should something happen later.

Remember if it does crash, you not only have to worry about loss of money and livestock, but you could injure the folks below you --- I'd err on the side of caution for this one. Maybe you could wait for an opening in the same 'plex on the first floor?

Nate C

Well acutally that 65gal tank is upward to 800lbs at my best estimate. When you walk by the tank now does the floor give at all? If you observe the water level do you get little ripples from walking past? Is the wall you want to put this on an outside wall? Do you have any idea as to how the floor joists run?

I am from NYC and I'll say that some of those pre-war building are in bad shape.

I lived in one where the floor was sunken in.

My guess is that if the 65 has been fine moving up to a 90 shouldnt be that big of a deal.

I've been going through the same dilema. I live in a two-story apt., but the we are above the parking garage so that sorta makes us on the third floor. I moved my 90 gal into my room on the top floor. Our living room was beginning to look like a pet store! We have a 125g FW with oscars and clown knives, a 20g FW with 2 turtles, a 10 gal feeder tank, and until I moved it up stairs, a 90 gal tank with a bully Oscar.
I've made the switch to SW and was concerned about the weight of the tank in my room upstairs.

You should definately talk to your manager/landlord. Living in Los Angeles, my apt building is earthquake "safe" so the foundation is very sturdy. But be careful. I've found out that they will do anything to talk you out of it!! (Even though the lease says nothing about its restriction). If you have renters's insurance, you'd probably feel better about taking the risk. :wink:

You definately want to put it against a wall, as that is the most supported area of the room. And preferably near the wall that is adjacent to the exterior of the building. Just be careful of direct sunlight!

Also, I was told to put a semi-thin yet sturdy sheet of pressed wood under the stand to evenly distribute the weight across a larger area. If it's not too much trouble, find out which way the flooring was constructed. If you have carpet, pull up a corner in a hidden area. Put the tank it an area where it would be supported by the most # of floor panels. In other words, lay the stand and tank "across the grain" and not in the same direction. This will provide better support.

Anyway HTH! PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

You definately want to put it against a wall, as that is the most supported area of the room. And preferably near the wall that is adjacent to the exterior of the building. Just be careful of direct sunlight!

Also, I was told to put a semi-thin yet sturdy sheet of pressed wood under the stand to evenly distribute the weight across a larger area. If it's not too much trouble, find out which way the flooring was constructed. If you have carpet, pull up a corner in a hidden area. Put the tank it an area where it would be supported by the most # of floor panels. In other words, lay the stand and tank "across the grain" and not in the same direction. This will provide better support.

All very good advice. If you pull up the carpet if you have carpet and then pull back the padding you will see the subfloor. This subfloor should have nail or screw marks where its screwed to the floor joists. You want the tank to be placed so its weight is over as many joists as possible. With a 90gal tank that would be 3 joists I belive. What this does is put the weight over three supporting spans. If you have the tank running the other direction then your tanks weight will be supported by only 1 supporting span.

Nate C is on it. Ask, period. 100 gallons x 8.3 is 830 lbs, plus 20 lbs of equipment, sand, rock, soon your over 1000 lbs. 1000lbs falling through would smash you like a pancake..And no one likes salt water pancakes..

Dont forget the weigh tof the empty tank and stand. That will add another 150lbs at least.

Yes, ask.
My house is over 100 years old...so I setup a 75gallon with some trepidation.
However, it's been 11 months and no issues.
But ask. If they give you permission, then it won't come back to haunt you should something 'bad' happen.

I got a feeling that they will say no. As the owner/person responsible, they will err on the side of caution too I'd think and say no. Otherwise they'd feel they'll be responsible if something did happen. I'd probably use the 3 joist consideration, near the external wall if possible.

Got five folks at 200lbs or more each to do some group hugging? And bouncing? Hey, sounds weird I know, but it might give you some peace of mind if the floor doesn't budge. 8)

Let me put it another way - --

If you were on the 2nd floor, and your 3rd floor / upstairs neighbor was gonna put a 1100lb tank above your bedroom (or your kids bedroom) would you be worried?

What if they didn't ask the property owner 'cause they figured they'd just say no anyway...

Not trying to flame or anything - I just think that without actually seeing the apt you are in its tough for anyone on this forum to give you a green light.

Back
Top Bottom