Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randy07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I've been wanting to paint a background on the backs side of my 125 gallon. There are fish invertebrate and corals in the tank. Is there any chance the wet paint could leach through the glass? I'm gonna do it with a brush so not much worried bout gettin paint in the tank other than it leaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems, a smooth roller will be much quicker and will go on more even. It will take numerous coats so let it dry in between and be patience. You will like it when your done!

Don't mean to be rude or nothing but are you like 100% positive. I'm just now recovering from a system crash I don't need that again lol

Ok thanks to both of you

image-4284978631.jpg

Blue emulsion and a roller ! This took 5 coats ! Just be patient between coats and good look !

I am actually thinking of going with white because it brightens up the tank and nobody else has a white background.

White would give a good contrast,I painted mine with everything in it. If you have anything that hangs on the back place a piece of cardboard between it and the paint so if you have to move it, it won't stick to the paint and peel it.

It probably will but I like trying new things. If my fish corals or inverts start acting different than il change it back. I just don't see why it would affect anything.

I painted my wife's Martha Stewart blue ( don't laugh) the paint has glitter in it. Looks really nice with the sparkle. We painted one black with a neon green cross on the middle but I like blue for me but paint it any color you like. I think white will be pretty cool and will bring a good look.

All above info is correct. I painted the back of mine black while it was up and running. My sump is currently behind the tank, so it needed to be covered. As long as there is no exposed water there will be no issues. Just make sure you do several coats. I did 2 and there are a couple of small holes that light comes through, but you can only see it in the am as the sun is rising. It was just a simple oil based paint...which I forgot was oil based and cleaned my roller withy hands...made a total mess so make sure you plan accordingly for clean up. Make sure you post pics of the finished product!

Yah I paint houses for a living so I know how all that works. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't leach.

Back
Top Bottom