opinions on nitrate tests that are easy to read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know if i'm blind or what, but my seachem nitrate test to me just looks like <none------some> ... is there one that's easier to read? I can't tell the difference between 10 and 40+

I use Aquarium Pharmecueticals (I'm sure I butchered that spelling) brand and the nitrate is pretty easy to read.

I have the Seachem tests also and at first I think yes my nitrates are down and then I'm thinking my eyesight is just different today. IMO they are difficult to read.

The AP nitrate is yellow-red and is most acurate at 10 and less but the card goes up to 160.

I use the AP salwater master kit. Nitrates are zero when the solution is yellow. I've gotten better at reading it over the months. Thank goodness I'm not colorblind like my son.

I've tried a couple of different test kits over the years and i've settled on AP they seem to be the easist to read and the most accurate.
That Dr fosters price on the AP master test kit is nice. They're usually like 30 dollars or more in the LFS where i live. Kind of makes me wish i was running low on my test solutions.

They're usually like 30 dollars or more in the LFS where i live. Kind of makes me wish i was running low on my test solutions.

Tell me about it, I paid $28 at my LFS and $149.00 for an Eclipse 2 hood....sigh...

I wonder what the shelf life is on them. Hmmmm

Not sure, Cindy, but I could amost swear some one posted about them getting a test kit that was close to expiring or already expired...It was about a month ago or so. I am not really sure what test kit it was. I looked at mine, the other day and couldn't find an exp date....

I have used both Fastest and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Fastest is very ambiguous and hard to read, but I love love love the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It is very easy to read. The colors vary from yellow to bright red.

HTH!

I started with a Kent Marine set and didn't like them, switched to Salifert and have trusted them ever since.

I also use the AP test kit and am pleased with it. But is it just me or on the Nitrate color card aren't the colors for 5 & 10 the same?
Mine always tests that color so I never cared cause I think 5-10 is acceptable for a fowlr tank.
Mike

I have Seachem, AP, & Salifert no3 tests and IMO Seachem is the worst with AP being the easiest for me to read even over Salifert.
I was going off Seachem for a month thinking I had 0 no3 the whole time and decided to test again with AP because my tank usually hovers around 5 ppm and the AP test color was between 10 to 20 ppm :mad:

ckmn101 said:
is it just me or on the Nitrate color card aren't the colors for 5 & 10 the same?
I can tell the difference personally but only in bright light. I’ll use half as much water in the test tube and the same 10 drops from each bottle if I’m not sure and then divide that reading by half.

tecwzrd said:
I can tell the difference personally but only in bright light. I’ll use half as much water in the test tube and the same 10 drops from each bottle if I’m not sure and then divide that reading by half.

That's what I like about the salifert kits. If a color is difficult to determine when lookng through the top (normal procedure) the "tube" is designed so that you can then simply check the color from the side. This darkens the color making it easier to find on the scale, then you divide the results by 10 since it's 10 times wider than deep with the volume of water tested. you don't need to change the test or amount of reagent you use.

Back
Top Bottom