orange montipora frag.....alive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i happened to stop by at a local reefer's house and got some corals from him. part of my shopping list was an orange monitpora that i saw him fragging first hand with a cutter. now that the monti is in my tank, i can't tell whether it's alive or dead. i can't see little polyps like those from a birdsnest but i do notice some stringy thingy around the edges where the cut was made. it's been almost three weeks that this monti has been in my tank with other corals. how do i differentiate the difference between a dead vs a live monti?

i know that a dead birdsnest should be bleached out, but what about an orange monti?

Pictures= opinions. If its still making a slime coat its not dead. Most stony corals will be pure white when dead. If you see any color the coral is most likely alive. Also post all of your parameters. That may have something to do with it. Personally I always make sure the frags I buy have had a couple days to heal before I take them home. Cutting, transporting, and a aclimating all in one day is alot for any coral.

here are the pics. it's sitting on top of a live rock without a coral plug

img_2671610_0_b38cbc9ae29ed0c2cfecede9de068ec0.jpg

img_2671610_1_c7ad279dcb08d2aa57f1fd823bc35239.jpg

Pictures= opinions. If its still making a slime coat its not dead. Most stony corals will be pure white when dead. If you see any color the coral is most likely alive. Also post all of your parameters. That may have something to do with it. Personally I always make sure the frags I buy have had a couple days to heal before I take them home. Cutting, transporting, and a aclimating all in one day is alot for any coral.

it was kind of casual conversation about the monti that started with the mother colony of the monti was growing beautifully to time for a frag in the near future to while i was there i will take a frag. spur of the moment kind of situation

my parameters are 8.4, 0, 0, 0. can't remember the alk and mag reading off the top of my head. i'm just getting the anxiety with new sps since i never dealt with them before. my softies and lps are doing great. so i don't think there's anything out of the ordinary with my SW tank.

Your monti looks to be in great shape from that picture. I have the same orange. Great coral and easy to care for. You might never see the polyps as they are orange like the rest of the tissue. Keep the parameters in check and it will grow pretty quickly for an sps coral. I stopped paying attention to mine and it grew onto the back glass of my tank. Don't worry much about the white edges as they will look like this mnormally. Just make sure the white doesn't start extending inward. Pretty hardy sps though, as mine had almost completely bleached out during a long power outage but came back great. Even fragged it out accidentally and have a second one going. Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom