Order of stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earlgrey23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys,

First, assuming that my poor lady clown does not survive her lockjaw problem, will the singleton clown be ok? I so often see them as pairs. If it is better to pair them up and I need to get another one does it matter the size as long as the species is the same? The healthly one is pretty small.

Second. My hope is to add these to the two clowns.

1 bicolor blennie/sand sifting gobie or both?
1 firefish (the plain one)
1 6 line wrasse
2 bangai cardinalfish

I have heard to add the wrasse last. is there any other order you would suggest? this is a 40Gallon breeder.

Thanks
Ari

Yeah, no big deal keeping a single clown. I keep a single Oce with no problems. He's happy. I've kept Maroons, True Percs, and Fire Clowns singly and without an anemone. Long lived and easy to keep.

Clowns are love hate for some reason. Some people hate them.....don't know why. I've always kept a tank with atleast one because kids can feel smart when they run up to the tank and yell "CLOWN FISH!" They're iconic.

As far as your stock list, it's refreshing to see someone actually put together a reasonable stock list for a small tank. It is so common to see someone throw in a yellow tang, or Koran angel, or hippo tang into the mix which get way to big and get the obligatory eye roll from an experienced hobbyist reading the thread of someone who puts their wants over the welfare of the animals that they keep.

With that said, the six line wrasse can be ruthless if you get one that wants to terrorize its tank mates. Some will swear that they're great and another will swear how bad they are. Fairy wrasses are something to consider as a mild mannered substitute, but I think you have the right idea in your stocking list.....maybe a pygmy angel or a flame angel or a lemon peel for that matter instead.

I too, would replace the wrasse with a dwarf angel. If you're set on the wrasse I'm sure it's doable. Also be sure to get tank bred bangaiis for multiple reasons

I will say those angels are gorgeous. My concern with them has always been my intent to make this a soft coral reef tank. And they are always listed as iffy for corals. Live aquaria lists many of them as 55-70 gallon. I've made the overstocking mistake in freshwater once and learned that lesson. I really don't want to harm these guys.

Thanks for the tip in the bangais.

I will say those angels are gorgeous. My concern with them has always been my intent to make this a soft coral reef tank. And they are always listed as iffy for corals. Live aquaria lists many of them as 55-70 gallon. I've made the overstocking mistake in freshwater once and learned that lesson. I really don't want to harm these guys.

Thanks for the tip in the bangais.

Liveaquaria recently changed that from thirty gallons. A Lot of people here have them in thirties to fifties. Coral beauties are one of the least likely to nip. Especially when well fed. (Going off a lot of reading, not experience.)

If u like angels and don't mind the risk a flame angel is also nice.. And a guy I work with had a potters angel in his 125 reef with no problems

Also consider the Cherub or Flameback Angel. They both stay small and are pretty well behaved when it comes to being reef compatible.

I love the coral beauty it's a amazing fish with plenty of style and personality

Hey Guys,

First, assuming that my poor lady clown does not survive her lockjaw problem, will the singleton clown be ok? I so often see them as pairs. If it is better to pair them up and I need to get another one does it matter the size as long as the species is the same? The healthly one is pretty small.

Second. My hope is to add these to the two clowns.

1 bicolor blennie/sand sifting gobie or both?
1 firefish (the plain one)
1 6 line wrasse
2 bangai cardinalfish

I have heard to add the wrasse last. is there any other order you would suggest? this is a 40Gallon breeder.

Thanks
Ari

For the fish order of adding to tank, I would do the firefish first-they're rather skittish at first. Then the cardinals, then the blenny. I've heard good and bad things about the sixlines, seems like they're hit or miss as far as personality goes. You could do it if you really love that particular kind of wrasse, but there are peaceful wrasse that are beautiful too. Like the carpenter flasher wrasse. If you plan on making this a reef tank down the line, I think it's a good idea to avoid dwarf angels, had mine eat a bunch of coral despite the fact I feed every day.:facepalm:

I got a firefish and a bicolor blenny today. I saw Beengirls suggestion to add him after the cardinalfish, but they were to expensive today. Hopefully that won't be an issue later.

Unfortunately Missus lockjaw clown showed a spot today.... didn't notice it till i'd already placed the new fish in. Darn.

take a look.... dumb clown :(

I don't have a QT tank, I hope it's just stress from the jaw problem .... frak.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Spot 1.jpg
    Spot 1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
  • spot 2.jpg
    spot 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 78
  • spot 3.jpg
    spot 3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 79
  • spot 4.jpg
    spot 4.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 78
The blenny before the cardinals isn't a big deal. Should be fine. Your poor little clown fish!!

The blenny before the cardinals isn't a big deal. Should be fine. Your poor little clown fish!!

I have to tell you.... I keep telling myself. "Self, no corals till the tank has been up and running for few months. Don't do it self" I was so hard today. They had these amazing frags for only 40 bucks.... but no. I resisted. lets make sure I don't kill any fish and inverts first.

I have gotten an explosion of brownish algae on the rock and sand over the last couple days. when the snails hit it they eat it clean so I added a couple more turbos. They had a lousy selection today. But I might need more snails soon.

Tank carnage....

Well the clown died.... I guess because he is missing in action. cannot find him. Perhaps the tank cleaners ate him overnight I don't know.

Also the Blennie has decided he hates the firefish who stupidly is hanging out right in front of the rock the blennie is hiding in. I have seen the blennie attack him 4 times just this morning..... ugh.

also a skunk shrimp was found dead this morning for no reason I can tell.

Water is perfect. frak.

I need some more snails, but that is it. No more fish for a good while. Reef octopus says 4 weeks for the skimmer to break in so I am just going to leave the tank as is. I am also going away for a couple weeks and I can't trust my sitter to fix things if they go wrong....

Salt is hard.....lol

Lol well it could actually take less time then that (just saying)

Lol well it could actually take less time then that (just saying)

I'd heard a couple weeks on the boards. But while it seems to be very well put together that company has not gotten on the "manual" bank wagon. All it had was a diagram and you kinda had to figure out how to put it together yourself. So I emailed them for advice and that was the response. Figure it's a bit CYA.

Stock update:

Inverts:
Various turbos and margaritas: 14
Nasarius: 4
Huge burmudan Nasarius: 1
Fighting conch: 1
Hermits: 6 (I actually thought I had fewer but turns out they molted and it wasn't dead ones I tried to replace)
Peppermint shrimp: 1 (tried other shrimp an they all died :( )

Fish:
1 oce clown
1 bicolor blenny
1 firefish
1 twin spot goby ( he is a blast! )

Also they conch and goby cleared up my diatom sand issue in a few days. Although reducing light and adding GFO may have helped too.

I still want a cleaner shrimp and will try again. Also all the fish seem to be doing well. I think my last additions will be two bangai cardinal. The dwarf/Pygmy Angels and the wrasse worry me to much with aggression and coral nipping.

Also planning my first coral purchase. Do I acclimate the same. Slow water exchange for a couple hours? Any suggestions on first corals that you've all had success with?

Back
Top Bottom