ordered my Red sea max c-130

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, after much research and debate, I ordered a Red sea max c-130 from my local fish store. Should have it by the weekend. After losing my 20 gallon set up a couple of weeks ago to a crash, I decided to purchase this set up. I'm really excited to get the build going. Will post my progress as I go.

Hello Autumnsky. Wow..forgot I wrote that.It's been 1 year since I started my C-130. My tank is looking great and all fish and corals are doing fine as well. The only upgrade I did along the way was to replace the stock lighting with Orbit marine pro LED lighting. I took the stock skimmer out about 4 months ago because I was getting tired of playing around with it trying to get it to work properly. Today, I decided to put it back in and what do you know...it.s working great..( for now anyway ) I'm looking forward to many more years enjoying my tank...

Attachments

• 1 year later.jpg
    1 year later.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 69
That looks nice. Thank you for the update. The tank I thought about getting still isn't available after months of waiting so I am looking at new options.

That looks nice. Thank you for the update. The tank I thought about getting still isn't available after months of waiting so I am looking at new options.
autumnsky,....what tank were you looking for ? ( if i may ask )

LOL...
Here is the tank which was supposed to come out 2 years ago... its been a long wait!

Won't be available for some time says the company.

60074-albums14113-picture67373.jpg

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/new-19g-72l-fluval-edge-3-finally-coming-soon-342150.html

I wanted to have 2 matching tanks, and there would be a planted tank version as well, to flank my main FW tank for my LR.

ROFL... with a tear in my eye! Didn't really need it til around now, and I can wait a little bit because there is some house stuff to get and do, was going for the tank first as it is more fun, shaped than say a sofa. I was hoping for a wide SW tank (Edge 3) instead of cube type (Biocube).

The RS max 130 tank is kinda in between shape- have heard the quality is very good on RS. Just mulling it over for the moment. There are a few things in the hopper to do first. But the other tank was supposed to be a Santa present - so something will be coming. Still looking at what is available in the smallish size set ups.

What would you say are your favorite things and not favorite things about the 130?

Hello Autumnsky. Pros about the 130. I really like the sump hidden behind the back glass.
Everything is easy to access. The one I purchased was the black model which I think looks a lot nicer than white (imo). Cons...the skimmer works great..when it works..Takes a lot to get it tuned. BIGGEST con. I needed to buy a chiller. The pumps really make it hard to keep the water temp below 83. I like it around 78 so a chiller was needed. Really didn't make that much of a dent in the electric bill like I thought. Also put a cabinet fan in the door as shown in the photo to bring in some cool air. Other than that, I really love the tank. Perfect size for my house.

Attachments

• chiller.jpg
    chiller.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 64
  • fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 75
Looks very nice.

How big/much/model # (lol, details please) of the chiller?

Is the tank filter motor, etc. what cause the extra temperature? How much warmer is the water than the ambient room temp?

That is an interesting about the skimmer. I haven't ever used one, as I never had a large bioload in my 35G, all other tanks were small (15G, 12G, 6.6G & 5G SW). Used pwc's to keep things good. Though in a 35G I would get another fish or 3.

What about it doesn't work? What was a factory replacement cost appx. for a new one?

Hello Autumnsky.
First off. the chiller is an AquaEuroUSA MC series 1/13th HP model. Yes..the pumps are the cause of the extra heat in the tank. I read several posts from 130 owners saying that the skimmer pump ran hot and was a known cause. I contacted Red Sea and they sent me a new pump but that really didn't solve the problem. So, you have the return pump, skimmer pump, and now the chiller return pump all creating extra heat in the tank but the chiller takes care of that just fine. As for the skimmer, it works great once you get it dialed in. Takes plenty of junk out of the water. The only problem is, that sometimes for no reason at all, it decides to go crazy and flood over the collection cup. So far, it's been working great since I put it back in. Here's some more pictures of inside the cabinet. Didn't notice how crammed it is inside there until you take a picture. In between the wavemaker control and the ATO control is the cabinet fan control.The fans come on at a preset temp and go off at a preset temp as well.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of the cskims.....it's a lot of skimmer in a little space!
They will act up for ever or you will under skim with it IME .
I have ball valve on feed that I added for more control,but would not run either skimmer without a 5g bucket hooked up to collection cup... Some weeks all good, and then BOOM! The skimmer is a beast ,and the tank service techs at my LFS love it..I told them I have 2 for whoever offers the right price to a guy who payed for them, but will never use them again... They were over $300 each when I got them:blink:
Good luck!

I " had " one of those cskims hooked up to my tank a couple of few years ago , and it drove me nuts trying to get it setup and running correctly ,.. I finally yanked it out and replaced it with something that was 100% more reliable ,...I've slept comfortably ever since ... lol

Back
Top Bottom