Oscillating Powerhead - anyone ever use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulron

Aquarium Advice Activist
Osci-Wave

I was looking at these and wondering with the other wavemakers I am under the impression that they turn the PH on/off which puts extra wear and tear on them. Why not use one of these and keep the PH on always?

Is there something I'm missing from these? or is the Wavemaker Pro by Red Sea just much better?

If so why? because of the feeding settings or just more random water movement?

TIA

WOW at $100 thats an awful expensive solution since it will only do 1 PH at a time. Where as other wavemakers will work for at least 3-or-4 PH's usually.

Only thing I can think of as a negitive given that I have not used one is that they appear to be rather bulky.
Approximate dimension: 3.5" x 5.5" x 2.5".

Add to that the dimentions of your PH sticking into the water and then have it ossolate back and forth and thats a lot of area being taken up by the PH.

I have not used other wavemakers either so I cant comment how they would be better than an ossolating PH.

I use the Natural Wave timer from Aquarium Systems. It will run three powerheads and looks like a regular 6 outlet power strip. Three plugs are always on and three are timed (adjustable). It sells for about $55.00. I use only Maxi Jet PH's and I wouldn't use anything else on a wavemaker. I think you could achieve a better effect with this than you could by using an oscillating PH. It's not really current than you're looking for but turbulence. You want to try to create something that mimcs the action of the waves on the reef. For a little more than the $100 that this thing will cost you, you could have the Natural Wave and 3 Maxi Jets. JMHO.
I wouldn't recommend the Zoo Med oscillating PH's as I have not had good service from them.
Logan J

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about them.

Maxi Jet's that good huh? I see you raving about them all the time. Back in the day it was always penquins ;)

I've used them all at one time or another and I think the MJ is the best thing out there. JMHO though.
Logan J

THey are a whole lot better than RIO's I can tell ya that.

Maxijets are in my household aswell.

Back in the day it was always penquins

You know, you are right. I used the Penguin a few years back and thought of them when I got into Saltwater. I bought two of them and they are great for pushing water but they really are not good for attaching to the tank...Verrry Shottty. :evil:

I am going to needlessly replace them with the maxi-jets now, because I like the way they attach to the tank,,,I also keep hearing how good they are..and for $20 to replace what I paid $40 for, not too bad I must say...

Yeah, I did the Penguin thing too. Still have an old 1140 laying around here somewhere. They're pretty good, but as timbo pointed out, they don't have a good way to attach them to the tank. The MJ has AWESOME suction cups that almost never turn loose. It also comes with a plastic hanger that hooks over the side of the tank if you want to position the PH up high. They also come with a good strainer that won't clog easily and will prevent inverts from taking a ride through the impeller. I won't use anything else if I can help it. Everything I have tried from Aquarium Systems has been very good.
Logan J

I use an OsciWave and love it. I have a MJ1200 on it and it creates a nice wave in the tank from a corner. IMO it beats a wavemaker since the powerhead is on all the time and does not get switched on and off.

I accidentally dropped it in my tank and Bruce replaced the guts for $20. I'm thinking about getting another one as this is an economical choice over the long run.

Norm

It is important to replicate as much of the natural rhythms of the ocean in our tanks - thus the term mini-reef. An important element of that is wave motion which brings food to the corals and removes wastes as well. Most corals have one common orafice for input and output so having current is essential. A variable current, is more natural, less stressful on the organism and contributes to even growth.

schild43.gif

Water flow in the tank should = at least a minimum of 10 X per hour or 1000%. So if the tank is 20g you want a minmum combined waterflow of 200gph. Possibly higher, depending on the rockwork and what your keeping. In my tank I figured it up once I have approx 27 X per hour combined waterflow, when everything is running, but my 2 powerheads are on a wavemaker, so they only run at the same time as everything else, maybe 40% of the time, other times one of them is running, it's completely random. There is approx 10-15 X per hour flow all the time with the other equipment (ie; skimmer, return from fuge...these run 24/7).

On a 36" tank, I would use a min of 2 and probably would use 4. I would shoot for a combined min of 500gph, possibly higher, this would include the return from a sump.

Yes overflows have a gph rating, it really would depend on your overflow, to find this out, contact the manufacturer of your overflow. If the tank is drilled and it is a built in overflow, don't worry about it, you won't exceed it. BTW, the Powerheads in the tank will not effect the amount of water going to your overflow, only the pump in your sump effects that.

are the powerheads in a kind of cross pattern. to give a crossing current pattern. in my fresh if i were to do that my fish would freak. but in a reef there are a number of currents the animals are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom