osmo-prep question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
lfs guy told me i need to dissolve the osmo prep into my ro water for 24 hours before i start dissolving my salt is that true?

No, your salt contains everything you need. The LFS in question is just after an additional sale.

Cheers
Steve

The main problem with IO salt is low Ca and sometimes high alk. Osmo prep isn't going to fix that. It's a useless additive.

Cheers
Steve

so which is the best salt to use? I too am using io.. and would it hurt to switch? what are the proper procedures to switch if I so choose?

Oceanicsublimat said:
so which is the best salt to use?
No such thing. Choose a salt that suits the needs of your tank and maintenance you are able to do on a regular basis. If an FO system IO salts are okay, personally I would never use it but that's my choice. Some use it and have absolutely no issue with it. If an FOWLR or reef, look for a more balanced salt that actually helps replenish the elements the system uses up. Kent or Tropic Marine would be good options.

I too am using io.. and would it hurt to switch? what are the proper procedures to switch if I so choose?
In your case the tank is still in the set up process so now would be the ideal time to switch. If an established system or one containing added animal life, switching salts should be done very slowly over several weeks. Typically doing smaller water changes more frequntly for about 6ish weeks is adequate. ie... do 2x weekly 5% water changes as apposed to 1x weekly 10% water change. This gives the animals in the system time to acclimate and adapt to the chemistry of the new salt slowly. This is especially important with inverts of any kind.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom