overflow box Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
how do I get the water from one side of the over flow to the next?? They gave me a plastic tube like thing in the shape of a "U" but how do i get the water to travel through it to the next box???

TIA,
ant

:lol:

The U part goes between the boxes. BOX-U-BOX. Although it'll look like an upsidown U.

Get a piece of air tubing. Make sure it's long enough to go to the top part of the "U". Suck the air out and there you go! You can also hook up the air hose to a venturi-adaptor to your MJ 1200. That'll suck the air out too... just make sure to disconnect the powerhead after the air is gone

Let's make sure you do this first...

Fill both boxes with water. The tank-end one should be full, the one that goes down to the sump should be filled as much as possible. Stick the airline tubing in the U tube 1/2 way (it's supposed to be at the "peak" of the U). It doesn't mater which end the airline tubing is coming out from. I would take a pic of mine if I could... but no camera till I get home.

Stick the U tube in (connecting the two boxes) with the airline as best as possible, trying to keep the airline as close to the "peak" of the U tube as possible, and you'll see that both ends of the U tube should be under water. Suck the air out via the airline tubing. (it's easier than the venturi... just spit out the water if ya have to). If there's a tiny bit of air left, it's okay. Maybe max. the size of a gum ball.

Check your connections, make sure the sump has water in it. Turn the pump on and keep a CLOSE eye on the setup and be ready to shut things off if they start to overflow. That air bubble should get pushed out automatically... but in the end, there should be no air in the tube at all

how do i take the tube out of the u tube with out getting water all over?? I tryied this and its still not working....what can i be doing wrong?

GoodFish said:
how do i take the tube out of the u tube with out getting water all over??

Very carefully. The way I do it is to hold the filled U-tube down & make sure it doesn't/can't move. Then gently pull the airline tubing out. The airline is probably being caught cuz it's having to make a sharp turn.

If the tube is getting stuck & won't come out, try holding the U-tube down & with another hand, stick a spoon or fork down there and help the airline to come out. If you push down on the tube with something (like a spoon) it'll help pull the airline out. (I just pull the airline tube out with my teeth, or get another person to help me).

ok....ill tell you the trick i used and it was so simple its sick....get 2 lil plastic bags...rip a piece big enough to cover over each hole on the U tube.
1st thing you need to do is make sure you have water in both sides of the overflow box
Complete submerge the u tube and while its under the water...cover each end with the plastice and hold them with your hands.
Sorta quickly take the U tube out and stick both end in the water in your overflow box. once the ends are under the water you can remove the plastic and wala...
the whole thing starts once your tank starts oerflow into the tank side box filling it and forcing water thru the U tube
hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom