Overflow Makes Gurgling Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a question I've never seen on this site. I have a 65 gallon tank with an overflow that drains down to a sump filter. The return has a mag pump rated at 750 gallons per hour. My question is this, there is usually a gurgling sound coming from inside the overflow. It sounds much like a bath tub as the water runs out, I imagine it is because the flow going into the overflow is not fast enough to build up the water level inside the overflow, it is simply constantly flowing through the hole, into the sump and being returned. Is this normal or should there be more water building up inside the overflow than is going right down the drain? I do have filters inside the overflow.

My overflow makes the same sound, and from what everyone has told me, it's normal. There are modifications you can make to the pipe in the overflow that are supposed to help with the sound - I'm sure someone here could post a link to it. On mine, we've just thrown a towel over it in the meantime, which helps to dampen the noise. :)

Go to google and search Durso and another is Stockman

I have both in my overflow and both work great. If you have a tight space go for the stockman design.

HTH

There are usually two solutions to this problem.

1. Its the drain sucking air. This is easy to solve. Just put a small hole in the drain to allow the drain to "breathe." that should solve the problem.

2. Its the drain (where the water actually leaves the drain pipe) gurgling. Pretty easy to solve as well. You can get a pvc fitting that has a turn valve on it. The valve should turn from the vertical to the lateral position (fully open to fully closed). If you turn it just a little, it should close off the valve just enough to keep it from gurgling. Thats what I did...working great.

Squishy :p

Back
Top Bottom