Overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a major problem but i need a cheap fix. I just moved to the interior of B.C. where the climate is a semi arid desert. The problem i have is the first of summer just arrived today 35 deg celsius(95 f). In one day my tank shot up to 88 deg. I need a cheap way to keep the tank cool as i am in temporary housing until our house is done which will have A/C. I dont want to have to put out 800.00 for a chiller. Does anyone have any suggestions, maybe a cheaper chiller?

TIA
Ian

Do you have a sump?

If so I have heard suggestions about using ice. Maybe a milk jug with frozen water placed in the sump?

Never tried it, just a thought. :wink:

A few methods of helping cool a tank.

First if you have anything covering the surface of the tank like those glass lids remove them. This will aid in the gas exchange and increase evaporation thus cooling the tank.

If that does not help. Increase the surface water flow by placing a powerhead to blow across the top of the water. This again will increase evaporation and thus cool the tank.

Purchase a small fan and position it so it blows accross the top of your tank. If you have a sump you can have it blow across your sump insetad. This will aid in evaporation and thus cool the tank.

What kind of lights do you have? If you dont have corals you could decrese your light time aswell.

I bought a smaller 1/4 HP Via Aqua Chiller on eBay for $335 including shipping. It really helps me keep my 60 gallon at a steady temp. HTH

Back
Top Bottom