Oversized Toadstood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my toadstool for about a year. It has grown from a couple inches in diameter to approximately 1'. It has been growing at an astonishing rate in the past few weeks and is taking over my tank. How big can they grow to?

At this rate, it will be too big for my tank and I will probably have to get rid of it. It is so nice I really hate to lose it. Does anyone know what are the cons if I were to keep it? I am thinking of giving it away to my friend who has a 100g tank.

Frag it. All corals grow so they will eventually get too big for your tank.

The way I frag mine is I come in from the edge of the head about 2-3 inches and I cut a circle all the way around. This leave the center of the head and the base. Depending on the size of the head, you could cut more or less. Take the piece you cut off and cut that into smaller pieces.

Attach the pieces to a rock with a toothpick and rubberband and let them grow a bit. You sell/trade/share them once they attach themselves to the rock. If nothing else, the LFS might give you some store credit for them. Then you can buy something else :)

This sounds rather painful. What you are saying is I can keep pretty much of the original head and base, but smaller after cutting it around the head in a circle. I would be happy with that. Now, what do I have to cut it with, scissors, razor, cutters? Should I take it out of the tank to cut it or cut it inside the tank?

I honestly cut off the entire head, split the stalk and cut the head into lots of pieces which I attach to pieces of rock. You'll have many more corals in no time if you do it like that. Furthermore, Your original will grow 2 heads and given the size of your piece you could have several pieces worth 40-50 bucks in 2 months or so.

I cut mine like you would a pizza. You can then attach the little slices to LR rubble with a toothpick, string or superglue(i use the toothpick method)

They usually will stick to LR rubble in a few days and they will grow really fast, you can sell the frags to your LFS for store credit if you have enough of them.

LFS loves aquacultured corals, or atleast mine do, they are much hardier.

Ok I'm having this issue too but I just wanted to clarify before I tore into my toadstool...

You actually cut them up? I noticed that someone said they cut the whole head off and then split the stalk. When I interpret that literally am I interpreting it correctly? My toadstool is one of the first "corals" i got so I'm more than a little attached to it. If someone has the time and the inclination could you post or pm me a little more detailed of a description of how this process is carried out? TIA

With a lot of corals, you can just cut the head off so to speak and the stalk will grow a new one. You would then cut the head into smaller pieces or frags.

My toadstool is a good size so I just cut a ring on the head off. This leaves a top to the base that will still polyp out. If you cut the entire head off, you will be left with a stump until it grows back.

What if I split the stalk down the center into 4 so that I have 4 stalks and 4 heads. Do I have to cut at the base of the stalk to physically separate them? Or just leave the 4 attached at the original base till a later date?

To me, that would be more radical than the other methods. When I frag, I try to leave a fairly large part of the mother colony so it has a better recovery time.

The way you described might work though.

Back
Top Bottom