oxygen level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greeneyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a reef aquarium.180L.

I have many corals etc.3 weeks ago started to introduce fish.They were dead next morn.I couldn't understand why as all my water tests were ok.

I went to see Paul at my local aquarist.He tested my oxygen levels.They were very low.

He suggested buying another pump for more water flow.That was Ssaturday.The level hasn't improved at all.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Obviously I want to start adding fish to my aqurium along with the starfish & crabs.But need to get the oxygen level right first.

Sue

Give us a lot more info about yuor setup. List all the hardware and associated GPH of the various pumps, etc. Do you have a tight fitting lid (glass maybe) over the tank? How old is the tank? Rock? Water readings, etc, ect.

Very hard to say without knowing a lot more about your setup.

BTW, welcome to AA!

WELCOME TO AA!!

I agree, we need a little more info. How many phs do you have, definitely what kind of lid. What is your pH?

One of the best ways to get more oxygen in your tank is surface aggitation. But as stated we need more info.

3 weeks ago started to introduce fish.They were dead next morn.
Somehow, I totally missed this line. I agree, how did you acclimate him?
Generally with low O2 levels, you see most or all of the fish are found at the water surface. They may be gulping at the surface with their mouths.

Thanks for all of the replies.

All my water readings are normal.
PH 8.2mg/l....Ssalinity 1.021....Nitrite 0....Phosphate 0.25mg/l....magnesium 1200mg/l
calcium 372mg/l....although the nitrate is quite high at 75mg/l this is what it has always been since I set up the tank.I am attempting to reduce it with nitrate minus,amquel+ and a new turbo filter pump with a bio-chemical chamber filled with seachem de-nitrate.
The oxygen level is between 2 - 5 mg/l.This needs to be increased to around 7mg/l I believe.

I have an open tank with the light unit just above.

I started the tank at the beginning of July.After the first week I added live rock.Then each week added something new...more live rock,polyps,corals,hermit crabs,starfish,shrimps etc.
These were all added gradually over a 10 wk period & only at the auarists advice.
I have one surviving fish in therre which haas been therre for 2 weeks now (blue cheek goby) he's a lovely character & very greedy.

I hope this information is ok.
Again thanks for your time to reply.
sue

re oxygen level

Advice Newbie

View My Gallery

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:01 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for all of the replies.

All my water readings are normal.
PH 8.2mg/l....Ssalinity 1.021....Nitrite 0....Phosphate 0.25mg/l....magnesium 1200mg/l
calcium 372mg/l....although the nitrate is quite high at 75mg/l this is what it has always been since I set up the tank.I am attempting to reduce it with nitrate minus,amquel+ and a new turbo filter pump with a bio-chemical chamber filled with seachem de-nitrate.
The oxygen level is between 2 - 5 mg/l.This needs to be increased to around 7mg/l I believe.

I have an open tank with the light unit just above.

I started the tank at the beginning of July.After the first week I added live rock.Then each week added something new...more live rock,polyps,corals,hermit crabs,starfish,shrimps etc.
These were all added gradually over a 10 wk period & only at the auarists advice.
I have one surviving fish in therre which haas been therre for 2 weeks now (blue cheek goby) he's a lovely character & very greedy.

I hope this information is ok.
Again thanks for your time to reply.
sue

Maybe I missed something, but in a 10 week period how did you "start" the tank? Did you cycle it and how? I see the potential for many problems that would kill fish. Nitrates at 75 is a huge problem and makes me think the manner in which the tank was established and weekly additions of more life. The starfish and crabs are dead too, right?

Describe the rocks you used. Cured or uncured? Didja ever have ammonia or nitrite spikes in the beginning and what caused them (how did you cycle)? When have you last seen ammonia in the tank? What kind of sand bed do you have? What kinda of mechanical filtration ya got?

Avoid using the de-nitrate chemical additives. Gotta find the source of the nitrates. 20 and below is acceptable, but 75 has got to be deadly. And from this point, I'd seriously avoid that aquarist's advice. Something is not working at all.

We may have to break this thing down and start all over again...and stay away from that aquarist in the meantime. Either that our double check with us on what he/she may tell you from now on.

I agree in that we need to find out what is causing these high readings and stop using band-aid treatments. In other words Stop using the chems and find the source. You say your water test are ok but your nitrates and phosphates are out of wack. Several PWC`s would have better results. Wish you the best.

This looks like a double post. What type of cover/lid are you using?

A protein skimmer would lower your nitrates and increase your oxygen level.

What is your feeding and maintenance routine? Usually one of the two being off causes high nitrates.

I am also curious about your cycle, and your current ammonia readings.

Grreneyed Susan, don't let these mean boys pick on you...
Just kidding, they're pretty nice, and they do bring up valid points.

I'm curious about the de-nitrification filter. Why put a turbo anything on it? It is best to move water very slowly through such a filter media. Denitrification takes time; pump it through slowly.

How deep is your sand bed?

Back
Top Bottom