Oysters for reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DennisG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone keeps oysters in your tank? There is an auction on ebay for 3 of them. I was just wondering what you all think of keeping oysters.

I have one that started growing in my tank when I first got the tank. It is still there, well the shell at least. I do not think my tank could handle it. I would tend to think with proper lighting and water movement they could make it.

I checked out the auction. Not much to look at huh? I have several oyster/clams that came in on my LR about 6 months ago. They are still alive. I do not see how they would be more effective filter feeders than a lot of other filter feeders available but then again I am not a "expert"

Yeah, they do not look too exciting, but check out that size! I think they can filter a gerat deal of water in much less time then an average clam.

I have several deep water clams on my LR and they are doing great. I can see them open up really wide and clamp shut. I asked about this behavior and my LFS told me that this is the way they filter water!!! I guess .... pretty cool none the less!

Back
Top Bottom