Oysters in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catchndolphn

Aquarium Advice Regular
was curious as why you never hear of people using oysters in a salt water aquarium. oysters naturally filter water, i pretty sure it is quiet a bit of it too.

Oysters as well as scallops, mussles, and some clams are very short lived...many less than a year and most people don't bother with the marine varieties because it can get costly to keep a constant population. That's my guess. I have seen scallops, mussles, and of course clams available for the aquarium, but never oysters. They're always in the supermarket frozen in the seafood section. Maybe they are cold water??? You have a good question there. I'm interested in reading what others might know or guess.

In NY they have Oysters in the Supermarket that are alive not fozen and they are not all cold water species. The Gulf of Florida has some nice Clams and Oysters that they ship up here.
I have clams from the supermarket in my fuge and they are doing fine (don't see them much)
Just last week I was thinking about trying a Oyster in my fowlr, I saw them at the supermarket.
I have some type of hitch hiker Mussle in my reef and it has grown from nothing to about 2" long in the past year.

I have had oysters in my tank. Like TCTFish said, they are short lived. Mine actually came out of the Gulf of Mexico, on accident mind you. I have never seen them for sale though.

Back
Top Bottom