Paint fumes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
We're currently having the bathroom decorated upstairs, and my QT is in my bedroom across the landing, my main tank is downstairs.

Should I be worring about paint fumes? I can smell them down here...

In theory anything that is airborn can get into the water via the gas exchange. I belive we have had a simular discussion in the past. If you search "paint + fumes" you might find some of those discusions.

I belive the overall consensius is to check your water a little more during the phase and take action if needed.

Okie - what do I check for in the water though? My LFS is out of stock of the Salifert Paint Fume test... :p

Check your basic water qualty tests like ammonia and nitrite. If you have a skimmer make sure its working at good effecency aswell. Covering the tank will help keep fumes out of the gas exchange but it will also limit the gas exchange aswell.

No worries - just noticed he's left his painting gear right next to my waterchange container and equipment (powerhead, salt, heater/pipes etc.) in the spare room!!

I guess with a rinse (as usual) these will all be ok?

Back
Top Bottom