painting established tank background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wad thinking of painting my 35 gallon tanks background black or maybe dark blue. Open to any suggestions on color and paint type. I wad thinking rolling it on mat be my best bet since I've only got like 6 inches from the wall. I'm not gonna be able to move the tank. Anyone with experience on this?

I just don't like the glare from the plastic sheet background or the look if it. Plus salt watet gets in between it and the glass every now and agaun and it looks bad. I wa thinking latex paint in case I ever need to remove it.

I used latex on my 55 rolled it on due to not being able to remove and brake down tank came out realy good

I used 3 coats and somekind of blue from Walmart when I get home I can tell u hears a pic

ForumRunner_20120708_095854.jpg

Yep I just put the first coat on. I got semi gloss black. Sucks moving everything cause I got 3 HOBs. Skimmer, filter, and refugium. It looks ALOT different than my bright blue plastic background.

Luckily I already had everything but the paint cause I actually do painting on the side.

What kind of roller did you use? I heard the foam is best for glass. This is my next project. Have the black plastic and the glare is terrible.

Indeed. I used a white high density foam roller by whizz roller systems. Really good rollers for really smooth surfaces.

All done. 3 coats did it with some cheap latex semi-gloss. Just got things back in place here is pics.

ForumRunner_20120708_182139.jpg

ForumRunner_20120708_182205.jpg

Thanks. Itll look better once it gets more established and coraline takes over. And once I go reef with it and get some corals. Picked up my first today. Got some yellow polyps. Has some cool fanworms on it too.

Figured id share a few words. Ive painted the back of a few tanks mostly small 20 gallon longs but on both my 120 and 55 collum ive allowed the Coraline to over take the back of the tank i find it to not only look better but even have seen a drastic change on the build up that i remove off the sides and front of tank. Just an idea. ..

Yea that was my plan. I'm not gonna clean the back I like the coraline backgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom