Painting in building with tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a little worried here guys with what i have been reading about my particular situation. I'll fill you in...

It is nearing that time of year again when we paint the floor of our store. We paint about 6000 sq. feet with a heavy oil base paint. Of course, the tank is "slap dab" in the middle of the floor. It takes about two days to paint the floor and about 3-4 days to dry. The building is sealed (no circulation or ventilation) when it is drying since we are closed for business. It then takes about a month to a month and a half for the fumes to dissipate so that they cannot be smelled any longer.

Is this going to cause any major problems with my tank? I run carbon 24/7 and I will be running it when we begin painting the floor as well. Should I just run more than normal (i.e. two mesh bags instead of one) and change it out every week?

Kinda getting worried here. I know how bad that paint smells as we have been doing it for 15 years...

I think you would be better off with a resin type product like purigen or chem-pure. The carbon will become exhausted rather quickly and the other two could last (possibley) the month needed. I would also suggest using more than needed. For what they cost, better safe than sorry.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom