Pair of Firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I talked to a guy from fishsupply.com today and asked him if i got two firefish, would they pair up and/or not hurt one another and coexist. He said that firefish rarely have any problems with one another and they should get along fine together. So i bought a pair of them online today from liveaquaria and wrote a note along with the order to please pick out two firefish that would live happily together in one system. I think i'll call in the morning just to reiterate my request to them before they ship anything out. But i've read some other posts and it seems some think firefish are notoriously agressive to their own kind. So i'm a bit confused but i've read it both ways. Anyone have any experience pairing up these fish?

TIA

Firefish will typically dart at and chance each other in the confines of the aquarium. Not only does this stress the fish, since they are notoroius jumpers it can cause them to leap from the tank.

they aren't like clowns in that if you pick out one that's smaller than the other one, they'll pair up are they?

i guess i'll see what happens. Maybe i'll get lucky and they'll send me a mated pair or at least two that have better chances at pairing up. If they fight too much, i'll remove one.

I have 2 in my 125 right now that get along great, they hang together all day.

They were at the LFS for several weeks in the same tank and got along good there so I figured that I would give them a shot.
They say in larger tanks you can have more then one but again its a 50/50 chance that things will go wrong.
do you have a top on the tank? if not you better get one before you get the fish.

i don't have a top. What i was thinking was i'd just get some cheap netting from HD and staple it to the back of the canopy so that they can't jump out the back.

But my qt has a top to it....it's just your normal cheap plastic AGA top. It has some gaps where the cords for the PH and heater come though it. Should i be worried about these fish jumping through small opennings in my qt tank?

If you have a canopy then thats is a top, I did not mean a glass top.
Cover the back, thats a good idea. They will find any small opening
As soon as mine hit the tank they started jumping out of the water?? Its like they were looking for a way out of the tank. After a few hours they settled down.

I bought two a purple fire fish and a red one, the purple one didn't make it...but my red one is thriving. I am thinking of getting him another mate but it has been some time....do you think its too late?

I think adding a new one now may be a issue.. how large is the tank.
Im sure the fish you have has the tank marked as his so adding a new one would propably cause a fight.

The tank is 55 gal. The red fire fish I have now is so peaceful though, but I could see how adding a new one could cause problems....I just wanted him to have a friend.

faerykisses said:
The tank is 55 gal. The red fire fish I have now is so peaceful though, but I could see how adding a new one could cause problems....I just wanted him to have a friend.

firefish do pair up and mate....it obviously occurs....but apparently it's fairly difficult to get that to happen in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom