pairing my goby/shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok well i finally got my shrimp and my goby a couple weeks ago and i really like them both. they are in a 10 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. now the goby is a whiteray shrimp goby and the shrimp is a pistol shrimp. i bought them so they would pair up and it would be kind of neat. however after about 2 weeks nothing. so i tried to pull out all the rocks and let the two gather together in a corner and hoped they would become friends. well when i put the rocks back in the tank they immediatly took to the same gave and wouldn't come out for like a day. now they are back on seperate sides of the tank and niether one will come out if i'm in the room. does anyone have any suggestions for getting them to pair up?
kyle

Any luck so far...?
They make a team yet?
I am anxious to find out !
I was thinking on a yellow watchman and a shrimp....

I have an orange banded prawn goby and a tiger pistol shrimp. They have been inseparable, starting immediately after being introduced. Give it time, and if nothing happens you may have to "trade in" 1 of the 2. Good luck, they are quite interesting to watch when they're together.

It's symbiosis. If my memory from Discovery channe serves me right, the pistol shrimp provides the goby with food while the goby is the pistol shrimp's "eyes" and watches for danger (since the shrimp has poor eyesight).

I want to do this in my future 80 gal tank with a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. Will this work if I have three firefish gobies in the tank or is there a chance the shrimp will become buddies with one of the firefish?

the pistol shrimp digs caves under the LR, stretching 15 inches plus :!: , (I have a 29 gallon :!: ) which the goby shares. In return the goby protects the shrimp from other fish, and shares the tunnels w/ the shrimp for it's own protection. There relationship is one of total devotion. the shrimp at all times has an escape stategy, and always keeps one antennae in the goby for any sign of a warning from the goby. Quiet amazing to watch :)

Would a "predator" help them out? Perhaps something that they might perceive as dange would jump start the relationship.

I have a yellow headed jaw fish and peppermint shrimp and they live together in the same caves and dig al over the place. I find it some what amusing that I learned this by luck. But it can be annoying finding holes everywhere in you sand bed. Good luck just give it sometime.

kribbz even though i hate this pet shop they have a pair for sale for like $70 its petland in naperville right across the mall if ya intrested

no if the shrimp is small the jaw fish would eat em !! but jaw fish are very protective of their holes

jaw fish can be aggressive to smaller shrimps but cleaner shrimp are alot more boisterous compared to other shrimps if they were not they never have the guts to jump onto a fish swimming by for a cleaning !!

Back
Top Bottom