Panama city beach florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i know the risks and i know how to quarantine, but is their anything in panama city beach that can go in our aquariums? Crabs,snails,starfish fish???? I will be taking my first vacation with my fiance this weekend to panama city beach and we both have tanks, i figured wat better souvenir to get than something live from the ocean. I know to get the licence to do it and plan on it if there is anything safe to get from there.

If you go the proper route and get a license to collect there are several things in Florida that show up in aquariums. I don't think you are really going to find anything on the beach, but if you were to go to an area that wasn't touristy and had some rock and tide pools you might find a few things.

My suggestion is talk with the local fish and wildlife and let them know what you want to do and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Well i dont really mean the beach beach but there is a area at panama city florida, its behind the jetties it makes a little pool with no currents or anything and there are tons of blennies and damsels in it. I dont think i will be able to catch the fish but possibly like crabs and snails would be easy.

Careful putting crabs and snails in from over there...They look dangerous!

I went to Saint Andrews and over where the large rocks that fisherman fish from, there are those blennies and really pretty damsels. You could catch them with a trap.

I caught a pistol shrimp and took him home. He really changed the place though! Hes got so many hideouts. He pops out, shoots at everyone, then goes back in his undersand network.

The hermits that I have seen over there look like the nasty ones that get BIGGGGGG! So not reef safe!
Matt

Most of the blue leg hermits you see in stores come from FL. Be careful of anything that you catch. Just make sure you follow the laws and regs what ever you decide to do.

Mrg got a question how much is the fee to get into the park? Does the fee cover all day weather you leave and come back? wat type of trap would you use? and yes ziggy i plan on following all rules.

Mrg got a question how much is the fee to get into the park? Does the fee cover all day weather you leave and come back? wat type of trap would you use? and yes ziggy i plan on following all rules.

I believe its $6.00 per car. Once you go in, you cant leave and come back (as far as I know). Its much nicer than the public beaches in PC. PC is kinda trashy in my opinion, but going to the park is a MUCH better experience!

A guy at my LFS had a little trap made from acrylic with a sliding door. He put some catfood in it and then waits with a string connected to the sliding door. You may get lucky with a small hand net, but those buggers are fast! Much easier to pay $3.00 for on at the LFS. ;-)

I dont see many blue legged hermits anymore, just those large tan hermits that look nasty! Plenty of ugly rock anemones and some sea urchins there too. Also LOTS of little shrimp that look just like peppermint shrimp. Not sure what they are. I could catch them with my hand.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom