Papuan Toby Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any experience with these guys?? Kinda interested in getting one for my 90g since my stock list is always changing and still not 100% complete. :)

I have a Papuan Toby that I am trying to find a new home for. He is a beautiful fish, and does great with the other fish, but will eat anything with stinging cells that isn't deadly poisonous or horrendously distasteful. Even then I have seen him sample my Palythoa polyps, and he has pruned the Kenya tree coral on several occasions. Mushrooms seem to safe from his nibbles, and green star polyps only got a couple of exploratory nibbles to the mat before he left it alone.

He went after a long tentacle anemone so viciously that he killed it overnight. As always different individuals behave differently, but mine seems to be pretty representative.

I have a Papuan Toby that I am trying to find a new home for. He is a beautiful fish, and does great with the other fish, but will eat anything with stinging cells that isn't deadly poisonous or horrendously distasteful. Even then I have seen him sample my Palythoa polyps, and he has pruned the Kenya tree coral on several occasions. Mushrooms seem to safe from his nibbles, and green star polyps only got a couple of exploratory nibbles to the mat before he left it alone.

He went after a long tentacle anemone so viciously that he killed it overnight. As always different individuals behave differently, but mine seems to be pretty representative.

Thanks for your input! I have learned the hard way unfortunately! Had him in my 90g reef for a week or so, he ate 2 of my acans, made my giant purple cap look like it had white freckles from him nipping at it and he ate a couple SPS frags. He did well with my other fish but not with corals.

I moved him into my 29g fowlr for the time being until I can decide what to do.

I just now saw the thread. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Mine would be great for someone with a fowlr or only mushrooms and Palythoas. I was fooled by his cute looks. I should have known better, I have been around this hobby for twenty years, but we all make mistakes sometimes.

I just now saw the thread. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Mine would be great for someone with a fowlr or only mushrooms and Palythoas. I was fooled by his cute looks. I should have known better, I have been around this hobby for twenty years, but we all make mistakes sometimes.

No biggie! We always get sucked in bc of cuteness lol

Back
Top Bottom