PAR 38 bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there. I'm looking at getting a PAR 38 bulb setup to go with my current lighting for extra coral support. Is this the kind of bulb I'm looking for?
36W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Black 12 lamp Reef Coral Marine Fish Tank | eBay
Thanks

View attachment 258092

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Watts and PAR are 2 different things. One is how much electricity used to run the fixture and the other is Photosynthetically active radiation, to me means what light reaches into the tank which can be used for growth...I am not the scientific one here. There are different color spectrums of light and some like blue/violet reach further into the tank. Red colors assist photosynthisis in green leafy plants like in a garden. There is a definition on Wikipedia.

That's cook. But it won't hurt having 2 different lighting systems will it?

The 36W would be for lighting the tank and fish for viewing. The 38 PAR is a strong light for growing corals. And the PAR level is less the deeper the tank and also when the tank is filled with water.

If you had a dimmable PAR 38 (with a timer) you would be set and then there are controllers for those type things but I can't offer much help there as I have never used them or researched much.

One cost for a light to save money or use the money for the best option you will expect/plan to need in the future.

Last edited:
Oh I see. I thought that was a PAR bulb. My bad

Not that bad, lol, there are some lights they cal par but for some other acronym and there are PAR can lights for houses, any of which I don't know about just saw them listed.

And they do call some bulbs PAR 32 or PAR 38 bulbs the former being the lower amount of light and the later what you want if your tank is deeper or want to grow corals which need more light.

Not like it isn't confusing!!! I am in the middle of learning about it.

Sweet. I'll look into getting a goose neck stand with a PAR38 bulb. See how that goes for a while. And possibly look at another as I get more corals. ?

I have the Aqueon 10W 50/50 Actinic compact CFL and it cost appx 10.

Also I use the same bulb over my 5G Macro Algae tank and I have a Teal Trumpet in there and it recently completed splitting 2 heads to 4 and I now have one more head forming on one side, and that is about 10" from the light bulb.

I use it with the 15G tank I have now and it grows little Zoas and Mushrooms and an Acan well at about 8 inches away from the bulb, I just leave it on a little longer maybe 10-12 hours.

I had a 3rd one in a desk lamp fixture but dropped it and the bulb doesn't work anymore. I plan to get another one. For appx. $15 I have a average but usable light. I used the second one to spotlight this side or the other for extra oomph.

I hadn't quite decided what I was gonna do with the tanks and lights. But recently got a new tank to build so I will maybe get the 38 PAR dimmable light.

I have a par 38 full spectrum over my 5 gal and have used them with my 40 gal! They are nice simple and easy to dim! A 3watt led will penetrate well into most tanks!

The PAR in house lighting means Parabolic Aluminized Reflector. The number is the diameter of the bulb times 8, so divide by 8 to get its diameter. Thus, a PAR30 is a 3.75" diameter bulb. They adapted the name even they use LED since it simulates the standard lighting fixtures. The PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) we refer to in the hobby is totally different thing. What you are looking for is not just the PAR38 (diameter) but also the wattage and the Kelvin rating (Light Color). You can divide the number of LEDs to the total wattage rating and you will know if it uses 3-watt LED.

Back
Top Bottom