Parameter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czwicky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok well Ive been slackin a bit on my upkeep on my tank for the last few weeks as I have been working 55 hours a week at my new job. I need some advice to get the parameters back on track

Salinity-1.031
Alk- 9 Dkh
PH- 8.7
Nitrate-15 ppm
Calcium-545 ppm
Magnesium- 1700
Phosphates-0.25 ppm

I have yet to see any adverse effects but I'm worried about the high calcium, mag, and PH.

Ok well Ive been slackin a bit on my upkeep on my tank for the last few weeks as I have been working 55 hours a week at my new job. I need some advice to get the parameters back on track

Salinity-1.031
Alk- 9 Dkh
PH- 8.7
Nitrate-15 ppm
Calcium-545 ppm
Magnesium- 1700
Phosphates-0.25 ppm

I have yet to see any adverse effects but I'm worried about the high calcium, mag, and PH.

I'd be most concerned about the salinity level assuming all the other levels climbed gradually. I'd do enough fresh water change to lower your salinity to 1.028. Then wait 24-48 hrs and another to get to the target.
As for everything else, are you dosing? I can't imagine those levels got there naturally. I'd just stop and let calc and mag come down on their own.
Nitrates would be a concern if you have corals. If you do I'd do a larger water change (25% maybe) and instead of using fresh, I'd use a salt mix in the 1.019 range. 25% change with that should leave you at salinity of 1.028 and nitrates around 11ppm.

What size tank? Honestly, the first parameter I'd work on is specific gravity. It should be 1.026. Removing a little saltwater and adding fresh will bring that down, but you need to do it slowly. That will likely drop the nitrate and pH as well. Calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are fine where you're at.

Would I need to get non-reef salt when I do a water change so as not to raise the calcium and magnesium even more?
Also it is a biocube 29

If your not dosing and got there, then that would be an option. Not necessary tho. How did those numbers get that high? Your not using salted water for your top off water are you? That would explain it.

I was until recently which is why I think the levels are high. I just want to get them under control

I'd be most concerned about the salinity level assuming all the other levels climbed gradually. I'd do enough fresh water change to lower your salinity to 1.028. Then wait 24-48 hrs and another to get to the target.
As for everything else, are you dosing? I can't imagine those levels got there naturally. I'd just stop and let calc and mag come down on their own.
Nitrates would be a concern if you have corals. If you do I'd do a larger water change (25% maybe) and instead of using fresh, I'd use a salt mix in the 1.019 range. 25% change with that should leave you at salinity of 1.028 and nitrates around 11ppm.
+ I would do exactly what you are saying if I were him

I was until recently which is why I think the levels are high. I just want to get them under control

When water evaps from the tank it leaves behind all minerals like salt, mag, calcium, carbonates and even nitrates. Just the water evaporates. So just the water needs to be replaced.
Use fresh water, preferably RO DI water when conducting daily water top offs.

Yeah I was informed about topping off with fresh water about 2 weeks ago. I have an ro/Di system specifically for my aquariums so we should be good. I'm going to do a 25% water change with 1.019 salinity water using instant ocean instead of the red sea pro salt I have been using as not to add more calcium and mag to the water. One thing I have noticed is my monti caps and digis have been growing like mad lately which I think is the high calcium levels coming into play. One of my red monti frags put on about 1 1/2 inches around all sides in the last month lol.

I would put the 25% with 1.019 salinity very slowly though like about within about 2 hours just like acclimating so as not to have a sudden change of parameter.

Back
Top Bottom