PBT growing macro in fuge as food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishead

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a powder blue tang who eats non-stop. I use a clip, spirulina pellets, and flake food on an auto timer. THe only thing that seems to cure his craving is real leafy greens in a clip.(spinach, lettuce) Dried seaweed is eaten in minutes!

In my fuge right now I have mangroves, I like the low maintenance and they seem to be doing well despite the fact that I have a fairly weak light. (One aqua glo 18" from my old FW hood.)

My nitrates are at 0, but I want to put in a Macro to grow as food for the tang.

I have my Sea-clone skimmer running in sump and providing current for my fuge. My fuge is probably 2.5-3 gallons total.

Is chaeto a good food? do I have enough room in the fuge for it, or could it go in the sump also?

I have read that it requires water flow. the MJ1200 on the skimmer should take care of that right?

What are my other options?

Any non caulerpa species would be a healthy choice for algae grazing fish. Ulva, Gracilaria and as mentioned Chaetomorpha.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, you are awesome! And not to question, but is my lower light situation going to be enough to make it grow?

Do I need to hook up the HD worklight?

TIA

phishead said:
What would be best? the worklight?
Pretty much any type of light will work. Algaes are not too picky although you'll have better luck if it's not too intense. Most often simple NO strip lights are plenty.

Cheers
Steve

Phyl said:
Steve-- Why a non- Caulerpa?
Caulerpa species contain toxins (caulerpicin) that can adversely affect the health of fish (gills primarily) as well as impede proper coral growth. It's really not a prefered algae type.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom