Peeling a snail of its spot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 2 Turbo snails today, After acclimating for about an hour or so in the LFS bag I couldn't peel the darn snail off of the bag. I was afraid of hurting it by tugging too hard. I ended up cutting the bag around where he was sucked onto and laying it on the live rock until the snail slithered off onto the rock. I am going to order like 30 snails here pretty soon and don't want to do that again., I think maybe its my phobia of peeling the snail off with my fingernail thats the problem its kinda creepy. Its easy to peel a snail off of the glass but the inside of a plastic bag is a little more tricky. Just kinda thinking out loud here. :-|

Just give a small tug to them they will let go if not try to "irritate" the foot so that they drop off or place some small rubble into the bag in hopes that the hop off and on to it , they are far more sturdy than what we think :)

You can also use a pipette or turkey baster to blow water at the snail, which should force the snail to withdraw and let go of its foothold.

I kind of "jiggle" mine when I need to clean the tank. I am very gentle and kind of move the shell back and forth.

My problem has been having the snails land upside down when I drop them in the tank. You would think snails that can't flip themselves over would evolve to sink foot first.

Anywho, I found that turbo snails at least have an easy fix for that. Instead of dropping them in the tank, I just hold them on the glass near the surface. They grab on and take off in a few seconds. Works great for the turbo's, not so much for the queen conch...

Back
Top Bottom