Pennies in reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MistaSparkL

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 4 yr old baby sis, after spending the weekend at my house, decided it would be a good idea to throw a penny (I believe..I wasn't able to find any more) into my 90 gallon reef tank. I discovered it tonight while inspecting my tank. Do I have anything to be worried about?

I know copper is a big no no with inverts in freshwater, but this is SW and i don't know if that counts in it. I know salt can be harsh with metals and alloys.

You could always get a copper test kit. I think they make them(im sure they do) try salifert... Test for traces of copper. If you are using RO/DI there should be none. Although I am not so sure that pennies made after the year 1985 were made with pure copper. Check the date if it is prior to 1980, for sure it is pure copper and I would test for it.

The penny was removed already after 1-3 days. I like the idea of the carbon and water change. After that, I would feel better if it were mine. I'd seriously doubt if it dissolved any in 78 - 80 degree water.

yes, copper in a sw tank is a big no no. Especially in a reef tank! copper kills inverts like nobody's business. the carbon and water change should prove affective, and get a copper test kit if you are really worried about it.

You could throw some carbon in your filter and go ahead and do a water change, just to be on the safe side.
I agree with the above and then do an indepth search for more pennies and ask your sister how many she threw in there.

I don't know that carbon will get it out. I would use chemi pure or poly filters. I think there might be something else out the cuprimine or something like that, but it's getting late...

Seachem Cuprisorb...

Seachem. CupriSorb

Don't think a penny for that short of time would cause issues, but if it was my tank I'd probably be running Cuprisorb (or a PolyFilter) just to be sure. Carbon ain't gonna cut it with copper.

Back
Top Bottom